Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 with a AWM motor in it. VCG went again so figured I would address the PCV system before putting the new one in. I have the kit, just wondering if I need to remove the intake manifold to get to the hose by the block? Is there a simple way to get to that without removing manifold and draining the coolant?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Unless you have the tiniest of elfin hands, I would highly recommend pulling the intake. Plus, if the hose breaks off in the breather block (likely), you're going to need to have the intake out, so that you can pick & vacuum the bits out.

Coolant drain is actually NOT required (you can coax the manifold out from under the coolant pipe - I did it.) But, if you go this route, I would suggest having a new dipstick tube funnel on hand (it'll get, ah, stressed a bit.)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless you have the tiniest of elfin hands, I would highly recommend pulling the intake. Plus, if the hose breaks off in the breather block (likely), you're going to need to have the intake out, so that you can pick & vacuum the bits out.

Coolant drain is actually NOT required (you can coax the manifold out from under the coolant pipe - I did it.) But, if you go this route, I would suggest having a new dipstick tube funnel on hand (it'll get, ah, stressed a bit.)
Thanks for the advice. Didn't plan for the intake pull so I'll get a gasket ordered this week. And I'm pretty sure I have a newish funnel on there, but for the price I might as well get a new one. Trying to figure out where the 3rd hose( the small thin one) and the loose check valve go, but maybe it'll become obvious once the intake is out. Looking over all the hose ivdo see one that has what appears to be a tear, but it's under the intake so haven't gotten to get my hands on it too well.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The PCV system changed a bit on AWM engines over the years. I think the 034 kit will fit any AWM engine but if you are looking at the original hose layouts from the web or something be sure to find one that matches the year of your car as there are some differences between model years.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yeah, the layout / connections will make sense, once you can actually see everything. ;)

+1 on double-checking that you do, in fact, have the correct AWM kit. Best to be sure, before you pull it all apart. IIRC, there are two different AWM kits (depending on production date.)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warning. Confirmed with 034 that I have the right kit. Going to try to finish VCG tonight and hoses this weekend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got it done without removing the manifold on my 2004. It was a bit of a pain but, it got done. I love this upgrade though.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,288 Posts
I got it done without removing the manifold on my 2004. It was a bit of a pain but, it got done. I love this upgrade though.
Same here. Same year and model, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GLX_Wagon

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback; good to know pulling the intake isn't necessary, even if it makes the job that much easier. Focused on getting the VCG and CCT done today (ended up pulling the intake cam) and looking at my brakes as the car sat for a little bit and developed a bit of a rough shaking when braking. Looked over the path for the 034 kit but lost daylight so that project will get pushed until next weekend where it's that and a new hood release (cable seems stretched as I have to pull the lever entirely too high and hope that releases the latch).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts