Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, the 03 Wagon my son bought a few months ago finally died the other day. Said he was driving home and heard a POP and the car shut off. Got it towed home and sure enough, the timing belt broke. He has the 2.8 V6 so it's an interference motor, which means it's done for.

Now I have a 03 Passat Wagon that is a yard ornament. The body is in great shape, no leaks, everything works, but now needs a motor and has an output shaft bearing going out in the passenger's side of the trans.

Not sure if we should put a motor in it, or just find another cheap car. Problem is I don't have time to do a motor swap, nor do I have the money.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,293 Posts
A curious question that pops in my mind is that if you are capable of swapping engines then how come you didn't change the TB on it which it by far easier and cheaper?

Nevertheless, it's gone and better to move on. Invest in something newer and more reliable than old Passats.

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
A set of rebuilt or used heads would work, no need to change the engine as the pistons usually are fine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is my son's car and he knew he needed to change the belt. His excuse was he didn't have the money for the tool. I told him he could rent them, but I think he wanted a good excuse for something else.

I hate to send the car to the junkyard. I would really like someone who would put a motor in it and drive it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm still trying to revive my 02 wagon 1.8T due to some higher oil consumption and was considering engine swap. Problem is that if you are trying to find a new engine, you are rolling the dice. It will be at least 15 years old and most likely you have no idea how solid it is. I'm preferring to stick with what I know and go from there. If you can fix by either getting the heads redone or finding some rebuild ones you may have less risks. Unless you manage to find a low mileage very well maintained car that was recently totaled by a hit that did not impact the engine area.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
It is my son's car and he knew he needed to change the belt. His excuse was he didn't have the money for the tool. I told him he could rent them, but I think he wanted a good excuse for something else.
Were there trouble signs; noises from the front of the engine? The timing belt often fails due to the locking up of some roller which the belt moves around. A "timing belt" job has to include the rollers and coolant pump, and a new tensioner is recommended.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I feel your agony... My B5 wagon just died bigtime. TDi PD, first the turbo died, drank all the oil in the engine, and before my son could get off the highway, the engine ran dry, and now we have a blown headgasket, cylinder 1+2 has scrached walls, and... The injectors were toasted...The heat from the turbo must have been enourmous. Melted cables, vacuumpipes, even the heatshield has "melted". The airfilterbox looks like a plastic bag.

It is officially dead.

The signs? Sudden loss of power, black smoke, engine not stopping when key turned off. The engine ran 3 mins with full rev. before it finally puffed and stopped. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts