Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr Brown delivered my spiffy new Yakima rack yesterday and I spent about 45 minutes last night installing it. It comprises of the Lowriders, 48" bars, Steelhead bike tray and 32" fairing.
I have a question for the rack afficionados amongst you:

Did you mount the fairing behind the sunroof? IE to the rear of it. That's the way I set it up because otherwise it looks as if the sunroof would interfere w/it. However it does push the rack quite far back along the factory rails. How do you guys have yours set up?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I've moved mine back pretty far to reduce the noise as well, but you're right that the fairing would definately interfere with the sunroof if you moved it forward.

the trick is keeping the rear bar forward enough to keep it from interfering with the open hatch... :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Michael said:
I mounted my fairing behind the sunroof. Had to remove some of the fairing to get the proper fit.
Ditto. Also helps with mud dripping in the sunroof from any bikes up on the roof.

·
Registered
358 Posts
jimbob said:
the trick is keeping the rear bar forward enough to keep it from interfering with the open hatch... :thumbup:
when I mounted mine..before everything was tight I put the bike up on the rack. The wheel sticks back a few inches beyond the bike tray. That way you wont' end up with one (or two) tire marks on the window of the back hatch. After that....i tightened it

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sold my fairing on ebay when I couldn't figure out how to make it work. It would have required a lot of modification, and I am no good at that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
CarWashMan
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing