Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Passat03wagon, just curious what part of the country your in.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I am trying to fix one thing at a time, find something else to fix every day. Last night I decided to check parking break for first time, Pulled up on handle and no resistance until half way up, then it stops. Even pulling hard it has no effect on rear wheels so I assume its either cable or as you say (cables) or something stuck at calipers, haven't even looked at it yet but its still up on lift. What the hell is wrong with the Germans using two cables ? One would do. What's strange is the person that owned this car had recently put some $ into it because rotors, pads, exhaust all new but I was told that it sat for at least a year so we know a vehicle sitting outside doesn't do it any good. Can't wait to try the free version of VCDS to look at ABS, downloaded software on my rebuilt laptop. The company says the free version is very limited so I may be forced to pay for full VCDS lite version which I guess is only good for vehicles pre 05. Just noticed UPS dropping another box off, should be antenna, lug nuts (bolts) to get rid of the locking ones, and a better wheel sensor just for the hell of it. Will take a look at the link you just sent before I tackle P brake. Again I really appreciate your help, you have all the links for all my issues and apologize for being long winded. I'm not to far north from you, S Maine

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
wow, just read that link on parking break cables, don't want to do that plus I have dual exhaust.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
does anyone know where I can find complete rear strut assembly's for my 03, 2.8, 4motion. Both springs are broke. Checked amazon, rock auto, and some others and only found fronts or just the shocks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Those parts look expensive and I don't see a part number for the whole assembly. If you need to replace a specific part like coil springs you can try ETKA for a parts number. Go to OEM VW Part Numbers (ETKA)! and click on the B5.5. Open rear axle and scroll down to rear suspension ATQ (page 16, illustration 511-15). Find your coil springs. There's many combinations of how many paint dots are on your spring and the color of those dots. Watch out for those ETKA parts pages some look very similar but apply only to certain models. Aftermarket springs that are similar but not exact matches may work as well, hopefully someone here knows about that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thank you. Many of the sites didn’t list wagon specific, I assume a wagon would be different than a sedan. My cord showed up today for laptop so I will try it later on ABS issue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Forgot. Was hoping it would come as complete unit because Im sure shock is worn out also and I don’t have spring compressor.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
You don't need to remove the exhaust, you can bend the heat shield around the exhaust to take it out. You an also drop the exhaust from the hangers (use a jack to support it) and that will give more room to reach the parking brake cables.

Here is a set of 4Mo sedan rear shock/spring assemblies:

And a whole car for $250 if you want a lot of spare parts:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
PZ, sedan and wagon have same setup, parts in rear? Still trying to figure this site out, probably could have sent this message directly to you. Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
( passat03wagon), I was able to get free version of VCDS to work with new cord. Watched wheel sensors live and I’m getting identical readings from left front as other three but it is still giving me light and same code so I guess next thing would be ABS mod?

·
Registered
348 Posts
VCDS shows hidden codes that don't set off the check engine light so first check for codes. If that shows nothing, and you still have the problem with that better sensor that you ordered, I would swap out the front right sensor with the other new one. It is possible that the computer sees too much of a difference between the two wheels. Maybe there is something wrong with the right sensor even though the left is identified as the problem. Also the sensors are supposed to have the grommet and sleeve I would compare the right to the left and make sure they look similar. Other than that though, I don't know.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I will do that, VCDS showed identical numbers for all the sensors but I did this by myself on the lift which was difficult. First I had to set my phone on video to watch laptop and spun each sensor by hand, and replay. Then I bolted rotors secure with only right front tire on floor to keep from turning and sat in car and watched live so was seeing LF and whichever rear was turning. Signal stayed steady. Today I will clear codes again and take car around the block and watch all four, and see if any different codes other than just (00283 front left speed sensor G47 sporadic open/short) and watch values.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well I did the swap except RF sensor broke, couldn’t get it to move, (crappy design) so used my other new one on left. Same issue, got light without moving, LF again. Took around block and readings from all four wheels where exactly the same.
77BFC8B0-27D6-44D3-9F60-99475D4B487C.jpeg
498944E7-CE07-4639-91A6-09D41DF2EABA.jpeg

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Sorry for all the repeat pics, still learning how to use this site

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
The wagon and sedan are the same as long as the drive type is (FWD/4Mo). Not sure why the sensor shows the correct speed and still gives a code. I would also guess it's the module, but have no proof.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts