Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have discovered that my auxiliary cooling fan is not running, I have checked the fuses inside the car and they are all fine.

Next step in the Haynes manual is to "If the fuses are OK, test the fan motor for proper operation by unplugging the electrical connector at the motor and use fused jumper wires to connect battery power and ground directly to the fan. If the fan doesn't operate replace the motor.

This doesn't make sense to me. why would i bypass the motor and hook power straight to the fan. Without the motor how would the fan spin?

Am I right in thinking this is the fan motor? So i should take jumper wires and run them to my battery and then into the fan side of the connector, NOT THE FAN MOTOR SIDE. Is this correct?

·
Registered
12,073 Posts
The fan is attached to the shaft of the motor. If you disconnect the plug, you'll have a short wire going into the fan motor, and a longer wire going into the wiring harness. You want to supply 12V to the fan motor, so get a wire of some sort to go from the battery to that short wire.

Seems perfectly clear to me.

Then again, are you sure you have the right motor? ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is the piece in my picture? It is right down near the horn. There are 3 bolts holding it with "suspension" pieces that let the part move.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looking down from the top of the engine Here is what I see.

The fan on left (passenger side) does not spin, it's loose, not seized, just doesn't spin when it should.

the wires coming off of it go down to, i believe the piece i showed in my original post. Where is the motor assembly? Is this it?

In the middle of the fan?

·
Registered
12,073 Posts
what is the piece in my picture? It is right down near the horn. There are 3 bolts holding it with "suspension" pieces that let the part move.
Sorry, just funnin' ya. That's your secondary air injection pump. The electric fan is up top, attached to the back of the radiator.

You've got it! (in your later post).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts