Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finish a timing belt job, and after returning from the test drive noticed a strong odor while sitting in the drivers seat. Following my nose I decided to remove the drivers door panel and in doing so I noticed the window motor was leaking dark brown fluid.

Can this winsow motor housing be fixed? I really don't want to spend $300 on a new motor.

Any help, advice or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27,757 Posts
If it's leaking any fluid, it's something that melted as there is no fluid inside of it. I would replaced the motor as it likely shorted out and melted down. You can get them used for fairly cheap.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
There should be no fluid of any sort coming from the window motor as there is none.
As PZ mentioned it might have melted something, like maybe the flux on the solder connections of the circuit board.
There's a worm gear inside the motor housing, I suppose it might possible that someone "filled" that area with grease and the oil is separating from the grease.
Only a small dab of grease is applied at time of assembly, meant for lifetime.
Whatever the case, it sounds like a new window motor is in store.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
"New" to you... get the complete part number. Used parts are pretty readily available unless you have an unusual car. "Unusual" would be high trim line with folding mirrors. The window motors (which include the electronics for everything on the door) are not a high failure item.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just finish a timing belt job, and after returning from the test drive noticed a strong odor while sitting in the drivers seat. Following my nose I decided to remove the drivers door panel and in doing so I noticed the window motor was leaking dark brown fluid.

Can this winsow motor housing be fixed? I really don't want to spend $300 on a new motor.

Any help, advice or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
There should be no fluid of any sort coming from the window motor as there is none.
As PZ mentioned it might have melted something, like maybe the flux on the solder connections of the circuit board.
There's a worm gear inside the motor housing, I suppose it might possible that someone "filled" that area with grease and the oil is separating from the grease.
Only a small dab of grease is applied at time of assembly, meant for lifetime.
Whatever the case, it sounds like a new window motor is in store.
Did not know that about window motors this is very helpful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help. You were right.

The motor melted, seizing up, and the circuit board fried.

I got a window motor from the junk yard in Wilmington, CA for $30.

The window was in the closed position. Not having access to the window track bolts, I decided to unscrew the window motor metal housing four T-star screws to first remove the steel motor housing. Because the motor and bushing centrifuge were so burnt, I had to use a large flathead screw driver and channel lock on pliers to pry apart the burnt motor from black plastic gear box. Once I separated the motor axle from the gear box, I could lower the window to access and loosen the window mounting bolts in order to finish removing door frame with regulator by unscrewing the three star screws. I was able to install the used window motor without problem.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,483 Posts
I wonder how common power window problems are on these cars. A total meltdown of the driver's side power window / door lock wiring harness is what killed off my 1996 Audi A4. I started to repair it, and I have the knowledge but neither the time nor the space for a project car, so I donated it to my local PBS station.

·
Registered
27,757 Posts
Window clips were the biggest issue with the regulator 2nd (at least they were down here). I've only had 1 motor fail on any of the cars I worked on or owner and that was the module attached to the motor.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Window clips were the biggest issue with the regulator 2nd (at least they were down here). I've only had 1 motor fail on any of the cars I worked on or owner and that was the module attached to the motor.
Same here. I've only had 1 window motor fail. That was on my 1998 GLS. The passengers side front window would go up at random. That started happening while I was still back in WI. Would only happen when it was cold. After I got down here to Phoenix the window started really acting up. It would go up and down at random. Made it really interesting during the few times it does rain down here. Just recently was able to find matching part numbers for replacements. Disconnected it until I get enthusiastic enough to get in there and replace the module/motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I spoke too soon.

I noticed that the window motor I installed had a different internal circuit board configuration. I didn't think much of it until I tested the system after installation, that resulted in not being able to open the passenger windows but only the driver window. I can operate them independently, but the driver control cluster is unable to control the three passenger windows or locks.

I think I'll go back to the junk yard to find a circuit board that matches the configuration of the original burnt board.

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
A B5 Door Control Module (Window Motor) will not work in a B5.5 Passat.
You should make sure to get one with the exact same part number.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts