Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to the car wash and as it was coming out of the dryers, an employee of the car wash manually folded the passenger side mirror out, and then folded it back in. When I went to turn the switch to automatically fold them back out, they would not move. I can still adjust the mirrors to for my driving position on both left and right sides, and the right mirror will still turn down when I put the car into reverse.

This has happened before and I was able to get them to get back into their normal mode after playing with it a few times. But, this time --- nothing! Has anyone experienced this problem, and how did you fix it?

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Try using the switch to fold them in a few times. Then out.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
if playing with them hasn't returned the mirror to the normal position, you may need to disconnect the battery to reset the computer and try it. Try to fold it out manually first and then use the switch to try folding it in. That may reset it.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
jwil said:
if playing with them hasn't returned the mirror to the normal position, you may need to disconnect the battery to reset the computer and try it. Try to fold it out manually first and then use the switch to try folding it in. That may reset it.
It might also reset A FEW OTHER THINGS .. Like your radio etc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car is now at Rod East VW, and yes, it will be covered under warranty. If only they can figure out what's wrong with it!! I keep you posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Power folding mirrors

Remember these mirrors have a limit switch in them, on the power fold motor which only allows them to fold in upto the limit and then stop. If it has been manually moved then the limit might be made and therefore it won't move (because it assumes it is already there).

In the door panel and on the brown/lilac wire (Pin 3 in the door connector) you should see 12V when the mirror is out. If you have 0V the it will assume it is in and therefore not allow you to power it in.

·
Registered
432 Posts
What a pain in the ass - this is the reason I NEVER use this most helpful option. Folding them has many benefits and one major drawback - people are likely to fold them back into their expected position - and break them in the process. Makes me wanna :puke:

oh well - hope the unplugging thing helps.

steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts