Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 02 Passat v6 with 165k on the clock. I'm using for doordash and UberEATS. Been putting 93 octane in and I'm wondering if I can run 87? I'm currently filling up 3 to 4 times a week.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

· PassatWorld Elder
8,373 Posts
Don't want this to end up like an oil thread, but I use 87 all the time in both my 1998 AHA V6 and my wife's 2003 ATQ V6. No issues.
Only in the extreme summer do I experience some minor issues with the 87 octane. But were talking 130° plus ground temperatures.

· Registered
2001 B5.5 Volkwagen Passat 2.8L GLX
264 Posts
I run 87 and occasionally put in 88 (when there is a $.15+ cheaper difference) on my 2001 ATQ V6. No issues, at least here in Minnesota

· PassatWorld Elder
8,373 Posts
Were not talking apples to apples here but a couple of months ago I ran my W8 out of gas. It clearly states premium only with a minimum of 91 octane.
Had to put in 87 to get it to the nearest gas station 25 miles away. It ran fine. Just not very peppy like it normally is.

· Moderator/Administrator
26,111 Posts
Were not talking apples to apples here but a couple of months ago I ran my W8 out of gas. It clearly states premium only with a minimum of 91 octane.
Had to put in 87 to get it to the nearest gas station 25 miles away. It ran fine. Just not very peppy like it normally is.
For the first time in 17 years, I accidently put 87 in my APR93 tuned 1.8T the other day. It runs fine. Slower, but fine. I tend to have a light foot on my commute, so haven't noticed a drop in mpg yet.

· PassatWorld Elder
27,985 Posts
I ran all 3 of my V6 Passats on 87 for years. No issues apart from when temps got near 100, which is several months for us. The throttle was much less responsive and I ended up running 93 octane as I did not drive much.

· Premium Member
8 Posts
Have a 02 Passat v6 with 165k on the clock. I'm using for doordash and UberEATS. Been putting 93 octane in and I'm wondering if I can run 87? I'm currently filling up 3 to 4 times a week.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Noooo don’t switch if you’ve been putting 93 in your tank, I’ll would continue to use the 93 unless you burn all of the 93 out, other than I wouldn’t switch to 87 if I were you.

· PassatWorld Elder
27,985 Posts
Switching will not cause a problem in reasonable temps and mixing gas octane levels does not cause problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts