Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife drive car home said it was making a clanking sound. Parked it in the driveway. Trans is in N no matter where the shifter is although I believe I am hearing it click thru the different positions. E brake is hold it from rolling right now. I had a VAG COM ordered as last owner didn't know when the changed the Trans oil but it'll be a few days before it gets here.
Found this bolt underneath it. Technology Electronic device Electronic component Electronics accessory

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Bolt w/ ~8mm triple square head looks to have threads that were damaged, by say a loose brake caliper carrier(?), before backing completely out.

Check all four brake caliper carriers for tightness.

·
Registered
29,157 Posts
Check that the axle flange bolt holes are not stripped before putting the new bolts in place. The passenger side is easy to replace if needed, the drive's side is a bit more work, but not that bad.

How long ago was the axle/cv boot replaced? If a shop did the replacement, they should pay for the tow and repair.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The axle was the 1st thing I was thinking when I saw the bolt.

Stopped to help a fellow Passater that was on the side of the road right outside the mechanics shop (They were closed) Car wouldn't move but a few inches. He showed me a few pieces of metal he retrieved from under the car. Same bolt as yours. The guy that did the axle work did something terribly wrong when putting it back together. Like leaving the 5 other bolts out.

The inner part of axle that connects to the trans was jammed up good!!! No other bolts were there. It ripped the heatshield/ metal dust cover and sent it through the guys exhaust.

Moral of the story? I think that one of the 6 bolts that hold you axle to the trans.

·
Registered
851 Posts
+1 on that being an inner CV bolt. (BTW: thanks for using the key for scale!)
I'd definitely say that's M8, so can't be a caliper carrier bolt. CV bolt, though, is - and, loss of all 6 on one side will result in your symptoms.
Don't even need to lift the car to check - just turn the wheel to full lock, take a look.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok. jacked up the car today and exactly as expected, the CV shaft, drivers side was hanging on the lower arm disconnected from axle. seems like a simple fix. I gotta grab 6 new bolts tomorrow. any reason why i cant use standard head or grade 10.9 6pt hex head tho?

2nd.

the alum drip? shield was broke off and laying there; it should be sourced and replaced as well too so fluids arent flung everywhere?

also checked passanger side and it is all tight and gtg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.