Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to verify I have the driver side cams timed correctly via the timing chain.
I know there are supposed to be 16 rollers between the notches, but the cams arnt perfectly lineing up with the arrows on the caps with the chain tensioner tool removed, any input? Thank you much!
0115201814a_HDR.jpg
0115201814c_HDR.jpg
0115201814b_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
316 Posts
The only marks that should line up ‘perfect’ are the ones on the exhaust cams, which are driven directly by the timing belt. This is with the crank at TDC and the locking pin in, mind you. The intake cam might be a little off the mark depending on what position the tensioner is in. This is why counting the right amount of rollers is important.

When it comes to that point, Its been posted a lot, but its a great reference so I will post it again. :)

Courtesy of ross tech:

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
The two bottom pictures are not mutually consistent, in the sense that the lower one spans one tooth more than the upper, with the same number of links.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The two bottom pictures are not mutually consistent, in the sense that the lower one spans one tooth more than the upper, with the same number of links.
Indeed. You don’t set the two banks up the same. They are not symmetric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys rock, that diagram is exactly what I needed to be accurate with the setup. The haynes manual I'm using conflicts with this and other pictures ive found online so I really wanted to be sure.

Engine was pinned and rotated 35 degrees ccw before installation, as ive read to do on this forum.

The pics I posted are all of the driver side bank, the second two are just close up to give a better view of the link to mark relation. I know the marks are different between each bank, is that what you mean by not symmetric setup?

I will recheck everything tomorrow after work, thank you guys so much for input!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to be certain, bank 1 is cylinders 1-3
And bank 2 is cylinders 4-6 correct?

And the manual I'm using is a chiltons, not a Haynes like I originally said.

Here is was it shows in the chiltons, and it only shows 1 bank.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
You are correct on both counts. The setup of pins relative to the marks on the cam are not the same from bank 1 to bank 2.

Bank 1 is passenger side in the US (cyl 1-3), bank 2 is drivers side in US (cyl 4-6).

If you keep tinkering and working on this car, spend the 30 bucks or so on a bentley and drop that chiltons right in the trashcan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do, I actually don't own the passat, just the atq engine and auto trans.

Engine is going in a 68' full tube frame beetle, (mid engine) rebuilding the engine now to put it back in the frame. (Second pic before frame was finished)

Ive got megasquirt for engine control, anyone one here ever run mega on an atq?

Attachments

·
Registered
26,616 Posts
You have it right. Looks like the Haynes and the Chilton both have it wrong. I have the Haynes and found the issue years ago.

Mid-engine Beetle looks like a fun project. I doubt anyone here ran MS on a 2.8, but there are probably several people who ran it on the 2.7T.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts