Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had an issue with receiving STOP from dashboard regarding the vehicle overheating. The coolant was seeming to leak. The VW dealership diagnosed the issue as water pump, thermostat, and CTS. Upon moving the radiator to service mode, I found the following issues:

- Significant oil leak at the T-flange connecting to the Turbocharger, breather hose, and CC Check Valve, and PCV tubes. It appears the hose was worn out at the point where it connects to the turbocharger and had been leaking.

- The color of my coolant after removing the water pump was a clearish yellow instead of pink.

- There was oil all over the differential, oil pan, and car underbody - but not the exhaust manifold. It also had a yellowish tint.

- There was singificant oil buildup on the oil cooler housing, not on the oil filter itself, that appeared to be leaking over the engine, appearing that the oil pan gasket or cam chain tensioner gasket may be leaking.

I moved my coolant tank and was able to take a video of the oil in the affected area. It looks like its leaking at the gasket where the oil cooler would meet the engine. I'm possibly thinking this may be where my coolant loss is from and maybe its been mixing with oil. Does this look plausible or should I be looking at something else? The car underbody is so soaked with oil and sludge its really hard to tell where anything came from. It does appear there is a trail from the oil cooler housing, however, to the differential and underbody. After removing the oil filter later on, I noticed oil alone would drip straight down. I'm guessing it was coolant that was able to drip a pathway down to the differential...

Here is a video (sorry for the choppiness):

[video]http://www.securident.com/www/passat_oil_leak.mp4[/video]

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Cannot see the video, but the oil cooler O-ring seal is one strong possibility for an oil leak point. Unless there is oil in the coolant, the coolant would not normally leak from that point because the O-ring is an oil seal, not coolant seal. The coolant circulates through a tube in the oil cooler, so would usually have to leak at one of the hoses. When the oil cooler fails, the coolant typically looks muddy, like chocolate milk.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My apologies. I will keep everything to this thread. My coolant was yellow where I remove the water pump. Its supposed to be pink....would oil mixing with coolant turn it yellowish?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, its odd to think that the coolant in the reservoir would be pinkish while this is yellow...below is a picture after removing the water pump and replacing the thermostat.

20131006_144142 (1).jpg

·
Registered
476 Posts
Where in Indiana are you? If you are nearby I'd be willing to come over and take a look at the very least. I may be able to help out. If I don't know the answer, I can help you communicate the right information here so the forum can give you the right answer.

One thing that I've noticed here in Indy is that the majority of the VW dealers don't know crap. I attribute this to them being more focused on the Subaru half since they are mostly VW/Subaru dealers.

Send me a PM with where you are. Don't post here in the open.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts