Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my new-to-me 2004 Passat M/T 4Mo transmission is starting to go out, a couple of grinding synchros and bad input shaft bearing. Changing the fluid helped with the grinding a bit, but I think that input shaft bearing is going to bust eventually. Rebuilding it costs more than I paid for the car, so I think my best bet is replacing the whole thing. Only issue is Passat transmissions are rather scarce around here, and I'm having an easier time finding Audi A4 Quattro 01A transmissions.

From the looks of it, a Quattro transmission should bolt up just fine after swapping the axle flanges, but the final drive seems to be different than the Passat.

So the question is, if I use a transmission with a different final drive, would I need another rear diff to match it? Or would it work the same? My original 01A has a code PHH.

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
I don't have access to my Bentley, but the I have heard the A4 and Passat used different final drives too. The A4 rear differential does not fit the Passat. The C5 A6 differential does, but that is usually a 4:11 ratio. That would would allow you to find an A4 01A with a 4:11 ratio, which they did make. You could use a matching Passat 4Mo rear diff, but need to make certain it's the correct code. Mine is a CUB, but there are others. Swapping to a 6sp would be more expensive as you would need to change the driveshaft and they do not make a spacer for the 01A equiped cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless there happens to be an A4 01A that has same final drive as a PHH, looks like my best bet is to find a Passat 01A and Rear Diff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh actually, looks like I read the code wrong, it has PHH on the side of it, but apparently that's not actually the transmission code. Woops!

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
The key is always the rear differential code. I just remembered I had saved some of the info already, so I will post it all here. I know the A4 had a 4:11 01A 5sp manual. These are for the Passat. I don't have the 01A Passat info:

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts