Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just hit 222000 miles on my car and it still rides like brand new, has power, idles smooth ext. BUT the exterior is in decent shape and the interior has gone to shit. The dash piece is held in by silicon, both front seats have tears everwhere, parts of the armrest are broken, my steering wheel is full of nasty shit from previous owner.

The exterior, the front bumper's clips are broken and pitted from freeway, hood-roof-truck paint is all faded. I wet sanded and polished it but oxidized very soon after even with good sealer. and rear bumper is peeling.

I decided instead of selling it, I want to "restore" it, I want to go to pick and pull (local junk yard) and find "new" black seats that aren't torn, new front dash face plate, and if I can black hood and truck.

I have never painted anything before, the most I had done is plasti diped then entire car and it came out good, but after a year the plastidip turned sorta oxidized looking. I don't have paint guns but I would like to sand my roof and reshoot it with rattle cans... would that work?

Also thinking of removing everything towing it into maaco and have them repaint the car for like $$800-1000.

Anyways this thread ill be occationally posting updates on the turd. Aswell as any questions. Feel free to follow

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,504 Posts
I got the MAACO mid-grade job on my 1996 A4 almost exactly one year ago, and it still looks great. The total cost was about $1150, including some ding removal and surface preparation where part of it had been repainted following a minor sideswipe by a UPS truck. (The first owner was very forthcoming about everything -- good and bad. I just realized we have owned it almost 11 years now. The factory paint was in far better shape than the part that had been repainted following the run-in with the truck.) Since MAACO is a franchise, your mileage may vary, but I can vouch for their Oceanside CA location, which seems to have pretty good reviews overall from other customers.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh good, i wasnt sure about maaco, im in the bay area. Side note, I just bought some seat covers for now.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
maaco can either be a horrible shit experience, or an all-right economical deal.

you have to be VERY careful. a lot more of them are bad, than the few that are good.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im going to hunt for a good quality hood n truck at a pick n pull so i wont have to repaint it, if i can than that just leaves the roof....If so im thinking either buy a gun, and learn how to paint hahahaha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts