Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a 2 hour trip and 1 hour and 30 minutes in my car beeps and says alternator workshop and battery light comes on. I drove rest of way picked my mom up and went to wal mart and battery light was still on but no problems. Took her home and headed back home and a little over and hour later my car cuts off and I coast to the break down lane. A state trooper jumps me off (hooked jumpers up his car running not mine) bout 10 minutes later started my car and drove another hour before it shuts off again. I get another jump and drive 20 minutes home. The next morning I started car and drove to store battery light still on and alternator workshop pops back up. Made it home no problem. Lights work but window and wiper blades slow. Is battery bad ? iOS it holding charge that long? Alternator?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The standard answer is to go have you battery and charging system tested--most auto parts stores can do it, and any battery store (and likely the auto center at that Walmart).

But your car started with your battery--the toughest job the battery does. And the alternator workshop light is on. And your wipers run slow, a sure sign that the voltage is lower than usual... yea, you've got alternator issues.

If you have a multimeter, measure the voltage. You should see 13.8V +/- a few tenths with the car running; I'd bet yours is 12.0 or less.

EDIT: Hirnbeiss is correct, too. But you definitely need someone knowledgeable about charging systems to look at the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it was about 11.5. And I took positive off battery while running and it shut off immediately. Someone said that was a sure sign of alternator ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes it was about 11.5. And I took positive off battery while running and it shut off immediately. Someone said that was a sure sign of alternator ?
That's a good bet. You can actually swap batteries with the engine running with a properly functioning alternator.

Sounds to me like your alternator went tits up during your drive and the car was running on battery power alone.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
...I took positive off battery while running and it shut off immediately. Someone said that was a sure sign of alternator ?
I wouldn't do that again. The battery provides a low resistance to the ~13 to 14 Volts regulated output of the alternator (+1 Volt to +2 Volts in excess of the normal 12 Volts of a charged battery). Removing that resistance suddenly while an alternator is working, can lead to a sudden Voltage spike before the alternator can respond, and ruin electronic systems in your car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey so it took me about 4 hours to get front end off and alternator out. It took about 2 1/2 to get new alternator on and front end back on. I broke the plastic piece that goes to hood latch. So now I have to pull latch pop hood and open by hand until I order a new one. I had a few extra screws left though. But I am at my family’s Christmas Eve dinner and everything is running fine. Thanks for all the help. Merry Christmas ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im suprised it went that long running on battery alone. My mothers 93 Ford Crown Vic ran for about 6 minutes when the alternator crapped the bed. and that car has a whole lot less electrical load then our cars. Bigger battery too. about 11 volts and she starts to miss and ends up dieing and the trans looses its damn mind.

"Few extra screws" thats weight reduction man ;)

My experience says a battery light is almost always a failing alternator. A bad battery shows up on engine starts and when sitting for a day or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts