Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 1.8t auto Passat has been leaking auto transmission fluid for about 6 months now. I am fairly certain it is leaking from the output shaft seal on the driver's side. I got the CV axle out and that was a piece of cake. However, the flange that the CV axle bolts to on the transmission side has got me at a loss as to how to get it out. There is a plate with three torx bolts directly behind the flange. I loosened the bolts and the flange was still tight. To be honest, after all of the other shenanigans this car has pulled since I got it, I dared not to go any further, as I was scared I would screw up something. It had me at a loss!!:banghead:

How do I change out this axle seal? :wrench:

I have attached pics of what I am referring to

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Auto part Engine

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I was sure that ATF couldn't leak from that seal, until one of the learned gents here schooled me. Anyway, I would think that after taking that center screw out, the flange should pull off. If the splines are a tight fit, it may take a good sharp pull. You might have to rig up a way to tap it off with a mallet, perhaps make a "U" of about 3' of perforated steel strap, ends attached at two opposide flange holes, then put a piece of wood at the center and give it a whack. But look into this some more before charging ahead, in case there is more to it than just prying the old seal out and tapping a new one on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply YL. What confuses me is that there is no bolt, screw, etc in the center of this flange. None that I can see anyway. The only thing near the flange is that place behind it which is secured by the Torx bolts.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Maybe I'm completely wrong about this one. Someone here wrote up a nice piece on changing this seal, I just can't remember who. So maybe that whole bearing assembly/flange comes out, which seems like a lot of work for a seal change.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
That output cup is in the diff, which has a separate and different oil fill than the tranny afaik. So I do not believe it's the source of an auto transmission fluid leak,though it could leak gear oil from the diff.

To get them out, you just get 2 longer versions of the axle to cup bolts. Thread them through opposite holes until they bottom out against the diff cover, then alternately tighten them until they press the output shaft out of the diff.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The output shaft looks similar to this one, although this one is from a manual transmission:
Auto part
It is held in by a wire clip. I used a sliding hammer and it came out easily. I screwed a bracket to the flange and drilled a hole in the middle of the bracket to attach the sliding hammer. But if you don't have a sliding hammer, zak99B5's method works too.

·
Registered
10,107 Posts

·
Registered
28,454 Posts
Wish we still had the pics to that writeup, but the host never sent them back to me. If I do one again, I will have my personal photographer take some.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Wish we still had the pics to that writeup, but the host never sent them back to me. If I do one again, I will have my personal photographer take some.
PZ, the write up luckily got move to the wiki site, so the pics survived! See my post above for the link.

·
Registered
28,454 Posts
Good deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts