Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've made posts before. Heres where I'm at.

Replaced CCT on driver side crankcase (bank 1 I think?) Was a tight job, had to slip the intake cam out in order to get the old tensioner off, as it wouldn't compress all the way and was really stubborn. Got it in, somehow, and man I swear I put that cam back in straight but when I started it up, it kind of struggled to roll over, spluttered, and then started. High rpm, maybe 2k ilding for about 2.5 secs, dropped to about 500 rpms and tech claims it made an audible pop from bank 1(?) Gonna go check timing again later today. Wish me luck

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I'm willing to bet the timing slipped around the sprocket on the exhaust cam and now the intake cam static timing is off.
The 16 roller count rule is in effect here.
Are you getting a CEL after this?

FYI,
passengers side = bank 1
drivers side = bank 2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No codes when we tried to start it last night. Thanks for the clarification, still really new to this 😊 will post timing pics soon

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I just popped bank 2 valve cover, removed spark plugs, placed in TDC (I think) cams arent lined up? But they are lined up with each other about 25 or 30% clockwise

Also worth noting that resistance when placing in TDC seems normal; not difficult, but not breezy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I have no idea how but, I turned the crank twice , back to TDC. All cams line up except bank 2 intake, that ones a tooth to the left. Probably safe to line it up again and try huh? 😂😂

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Yep intake cam is out of time.
Just for grins, can you get a picture showing the exhaust cam too? Just want to be sure that lines up with the mark.

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
Okay I have no idea how but, I turned the crank twice , back to TDC. All cams line up except bank 2 intake, that ones a tooth to the left. Probably safe to line it up again and try huh? 😂😂
When you say you turned it back to TDC, do you mean you turned the engine counter clockwise? If so, the CCT may be compressed, throwing off the marks. Since the crank has to turn twice for the cams to turn once, you may have to turn the crank once more to see the marks on the cams to line them up with the notches on the cam caps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after all that, solidifying timing marks and making sure everything was solid, she struggled to turn over again and spluttered out. Motor didn't even get to start this time, what could've gone wrong??

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Hmm, the picture of the exhaust cam wasn't visible for me the last time I looked at this post.
Anyways...
In the pictures you've posted neither one of the marks are lined up on the cams.
DO NOT TRY TO RUN THE ENGINE ANYMORE!!!

You need to verify the timing before you go any further.
As PZ suggested, you might one turn of the crankshaft off. Manually turn the crankshaft with a socket/ratchet on the front of the crank until the timing mark lines up on the crank.
#3 cylinder (back of engine Bank #1 - on passengers side) should be at TDC.

Yes I said #3 cylinder at TDC.

Now make sure your mark lines up on the crankshaft.
Marks should line up on the camshafts and cam caps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, last nights post was rushed. We may have a bigger issue at this point. Is #3 cylinder at TDC different than placing the crank in TDC? I was under the assumption there was only one correct way to line this up

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Is #3 cylinder at TDC different than placing the crank in TDC?
Yes and no. I'm adding more specific information for people that are unfamiliar with the V6 engine. Most people just assume it's #1 cylinder at TDC.
Having the crankshaft mark at TDC, the #3 piston will either be at TDC on it's way from the compression to the power stroke, or, on it's way from exhaust stroke to the intake stroke.
You need to be at the top of the compression stroke.

That's why PZ mentioned you might one revolution off.
You need to be looking at the cams and the mark on the crankshaft together. By the way your pictures look, you're one revolution off on the crankshaft.

I was under the assumption there was only one correct way to line this up
Your assumption is correct, there is only one way to line up the static timing marks. It's a specific step by step procedure.

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
The V6 is very prone to flooding. If the car was started and turned off, it can flood that easily. It's far worse in cold weather and I've had a few issues over the years even when it's warm. You might have everything lined up, but I would confirm it anyway. Then pull the plugs and the fuel pump fuse/relay and crank the motor over to vent out the gas. You should also clean the plugs off and make certain the battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I need to add that just trying to run the engine on a whim and hoping it'll run could prove disastrous. These V6 engine are an interference engine. That means that the valves will hit the tops of the pistons if the timing belt or cam chains are more than a couple of teeth off in either direction.

Static timing of the timing belt and cam chains must be verified (and correct) before trying to run the engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With that information, the suspicion we had that we may have already busted the valve stems is only confirmed. First time we ran the motor (as posted at first, intake cam was off a tooth) it was rough. Last night we fixed the position of that cam, and upon startup attempt it didn't even turn over and start breathing, just kind of lumped over a couple times. Could be that we just flooded it, but I think busted valves is more likely based off what yall telling me.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
If your only one tooth off on the cam, that will not bend or break any valves.
Start from the beginning and see where your at.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts