Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently the STOP Oil Pressure warning light has come on my 2001.5 Passat GLS. It currently has 220,000 miles. PO had sludge issues and had the oil pump replaced because dino oil was used. Since I got it at 124,000 miles, I've only put synthetic oil. I've gone through several synthetics: Castrol Syntec 5w40, Mobil 1 0w40, Valvoline 5w30 and now Rotella T6 5w40 for the past 15,000 miles. I also am using the Purolator L40316 filter.

I had a CCT failure awhile back and it occurred when I used Valvoline synthetic 5w30. So, I'm not sure if that was a factor.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/68-b5-garage/350293-2001-5-passat-awm-cam-chain-tensioner-exploded-leaked-oil-then-stop-engine.html

I have since installed an oil pressure gauge. A year ago, the oil pressures I got were 25-28 psi at idle 75 psi at cold start. 50 psi at 2000 rpm.
Now, I'm getting at cold start 50 psi, idle is about 25-36 psi, 25-30 psi at 2000 rpm.

This time I wasn't paying attention to the OCI and changed the Rotella T6 at 10,000 miles. Not sure if this contributed to the STOP warnings.
I didn't notice any sludge issues when I changed the CCT a year ago. So I'm stumped as to why this STOP warning is coming on.

When it has come on, I was going approximately 80mph, above 2000rpm, my oil pressure gauge was showing between 25 and 30 psi. The light would stay on for a little bit and then it would shut off. I'd back off on the speed and it would eventually shut off. That was the past couple of days.

Today, I had topped off the oil since it was just half a quart low. I drove 50 miles at 65mph and didn't raise the rpm unnecessarily. The STOP warning light never came on. Later in the afternoon, I drove back home and aside from driving up a hill, the STOP warning light came on twice momentarily and then it shut off until I got home. So about 50 miles with two blips of the STOP warning light.

I really don't think it's a sludge problem. Some things to note though, sometimes when I cold start the engine, the engine would vibrate, shake the car but then it would work itself off and run okay after that. It only happens once in awhile. Don't know what that is about or if it's even related.

The engine leaks oil near the rear side of the engine on the passenger side and drips onto the exhaust and stinks up the interior of the car. A sign of over pressurization? I changed all of the PCV system, so I don't know if that overpressurization is also causing the low oil pressure.

I bought a oil pressure sender just in case. I haven't installed it yet.

Any ideas what might be going on?

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
The PCV system can't affect the oil pressure.
The oil pressure light/message shouldn't come on with the oil pressures you reported, Replace the pressure sensor.

The oil pressure is too low, I think the most likely cause would be blocked pick-up screen.
Some other possible causes of low oil pressure:
Worn oil pump, worn crank or cam bearings, CCT, cylinder squirters.
Get it scanned and post the codes.
See what other opinions you get.

·
Registered
476 Posts
cylinder squirters = Piston cooling nozzles incase you want to do a search. I would be very surprised if they were bad though.

I would scan it and post codes like Tom suggested. Also worth mentioning is the STOP oil pressure light doesn't come on unless you are above 2000 RPM.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The STOP oil pressure light usually comes on at freeway speeds, above 2000 RPM. Recently the cold start psi is getting lower and lower. It's at 40psi and then quickly drops to 25-30 psi. I've noticed that I would smell burning oil from the oil leaks around the valve gasket and then it would follow with a drop in oil pressure. I would think that if the valve gasket is leaking then how can it maintain oil pressure. So would a valve gasket change fix it?

I also notice loud rattle noises at startup and then settles down once oil pressure gets up to about 25 psi. The oil pressure gauge slowly goes up when it pressurizes. Is it supposed to shoot up right away?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get this with VAG COM.

Address 01: Engine
Controller: 4B0 906 018 CL
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0003
Coding: 16551
Shop #: WSC 22588
WVWPD63B21P212006 VWZ7Z0A3506122
3 Faults Found:
16804 - Catalyst System: Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
P0420 - 35-00 - -
17964 - Charge Pressure Control: Negative Deviation
P1556 - 35-00 - -
16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
P0011 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would back pressure from a bad catalytic converter contribute to the low oil pressure? I barely passed smog and the cat rattles.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Neither your VCG or catalytic converter will materially affect oil pressure. Have you replaced the pressure sender as Tom suggested, or are you past that and depending on a gauge?

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
I will probably get some flak from this, but here goes, the best I can do is give my opinion.

I wouldn't continue to drive it like it is, I certainly wouldn't drive it at 80 MPH with 20 - 30 Lbs oil pressure.
With the oil pressure dropping as rapidly as it has, I expect you have a blocked oil screen and/or a failing bearing.
I suggest you remove the valve cover and check the cam bearings & CCT, also drop the oil pan and check everything in there.
Otherwise I expect that in the very near future you will have a catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had cct failure it blew oil out an opening. Pieces of the tensioner did not break off inside the engine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a mechanic drop the pan and he said the oil pickup screen is covered in gray silicone. Looks like the same silicone used to seal the oil pan sloppily. Wonder why it became an issue now after over 100,000 miles from when the oil pump was changed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I picked up the passat from the mechanic on Tuesday. He cleared the gunk on the oil pickup screen. Buttoned it up.

The oil pressures now are:
Cold start 75 psi
2000 rpm 50 psi
Idle 30 psi
And now it fluctuates with the RPM. Before the STOP light came on it would just settle down at 25-30 psi no matter the RPM. So the blockage was present from when I got the car, it seems.

This mechanic is pretty good when it comes to working on these 1.8Ts. Highly recommended.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts