Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 1.8T Tip and doggy 0-60 times. Without aggressive starts, my times are around 11 seconds. I would expect under 10. My plugs, air filter, snow screen are fine. I just replaced the diverter valve, no difference, old one seemed ok.

I am not going for the drag stip, but am surprised that this is all I get. I've had the car 32,000 miles and it has 68,000 total. It has always been this way and I do regular maint.

Any ideas?

What has gas mileage improvement been for people with chips? If the saving will pay for it, I might try it. What chip has the flattest earliest torque curve? This is my daily driver and I don't get lots of chances to really push it.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
I say "who cares". If your 0-60 is anything over 8 seconds and you can't beat anyone worth mentioning anyway, so why even waste gas? ;) :lol: jk.

Seriously though, if you have a lot of stuff in your car, that can affect it most. Wight is a huge factor. Maybe your trunk is filled with tools and stuff? :???:

Other than that, it's probably a combination of the way you're timing stuff, and maybe your car itself. Some car simply aren't as powerful as others when they roll off the assembly line; there are deviations. That said, a "weaker" Passat still wouldn't be over a full second slower. Do you always use Premium?

Anyway, again, I would say it's more than likely just the way you're timing it. I just wouldn't worry about it unless an automatic Civic EX beats you onto the freeway one day.

-Harry

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yeah if you rash for cash and try to make a living out of it, passat probably isnt your best option. It's nice to get quick so you can waste the ricers and such. I've got a manual, I heard autos are very slow off the line.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'Slow' isn't the right word for it, 'dead' is.

No extra weight in my car. Just me and the spare tire.

Not a timing issue, I have done this probably 20 times in various weather. Today's weather is 55 degrees and humid. Done it at 37 degrees and 90 degrees. Doggy, doggy, doggy. I've even had it up to 95 octane by mixing in 100 octane fuel, waited for it to blend together. Still doggy.

I had my timing belt changed - is there anything they can do within the range of adjustment of that belt that could have helped? (It didn't cause my problem, but I am wondering if it could have been used to help.) I hear they just get it close, based on where the teeth of the belt fall.

Also, which chip has extra torque at the lowest RPM?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Is your turbo spooling up at all? How are you timing your 0-60 runs? Are you brake torquing? Are you losing traction at the top of first gear?

All of these will affect your run.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
What size wheels are you running? Have you weighed them with rubber on them at your driving pressure? Do you have a boost guage to check your boost?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok. I have a '99 1.8T wagon as we call it here in europe. I had a friend in the car who did the timing with a stopwatch, so it's not super accurate, but still. Stock car, no chip or anything. Dry, flat road with rough surface. Kumho 225/45-17 all round. I did several runs, and averaged 9.4s. I'd say your car is slow, or you aren't doing it right. Remember my time was with a passenger.

I rev to about 4k rpm, release the clutch until the wheels starts to wanna come loose, and hold it there until I regain grip, then dump it all the way. Shift at 6k rpm. I reach 60 right after shifting to 3rd.

Pancreas: What other mods do you run besides the chip? Downhill? ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
"Without aggressive starts...." may be the exact cause of the slower 0-60 times. Most people who put a lot of emphasis on acceleration times won't be easing out of the gate and then flooring it. As atledreier said, he gets about 9.4s which is reasonable for a stock 1.8T wagon, about a sec slower than a sedan. 1.5 sec gap from your time isn't that much considering the difference launch technique and auto vs manual trans. Other than that, you need to check your boost as rpaller suggests. The DV would be a lot more likely to be a problem than the timing error from timing belt change. HTH.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Are you losing traction at the top of first gear?" I don't lose traction in any gear at any time! If that was because I had 4Mo, I'd be happy!

Stock size 15" (Bridgestone Potenza 950s). The wheels weigh about 17 lbs by themselves.

I'm not power braking right now, but even when I have I don't have much better starts, so I'm taking it easy on the tranny.

To time myself, I have logging on with my VAG-Com. I click the marker right when I move my foot to the floor. Then I click it again when I hit a true 60 mph (about 63).

New DV today (from a TT). No improvement. Checked plugs, air cleaner, snow screen. :(

·
Registered
177 Posts
It sounds like your turbo isn't spooling. One of my friends, though i hate to admit, drives a 92 MR2 turbo, he had the same problem, only he was pushing 290hp to the wheel, and only pulling a 7.5 0-60. We found that the problem was his turbo blew a seal and was slinging oil through his intake, his Greddy intercooler had a little over 1qt of oil in it when we pulled it out. I'm not saying thats the problem, but you might check that out. Im not real familiar with the 1.8t since mine is the V6, but if the 1.8t has a wastegate, you may check that also, sometimes if it is set to soft it will dump all your exhaust instead of letting the turbo fully spool. Im sorry i'm not much help. Good luck!! By the way, have you takin it to the Dealer yet? Some people hate the dealer, I love mine. They give me employee discounts on everything I purchase other than labor. Of course that could be cause they feel sorry for me cause I'm always breaking something........Lead foot! (two motor mounts, two halfshafts, one tierod and two tierod ends.) :lol:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven't been to the dealer - they will say they can't replicate any problem! I'm just a little more picky!

I tied to reset my computer. I'll try a run on the way to church tomorrow :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
next time you go to the dealer, ask them to see how much boost you're running, you feel there's a problem, you should be running at least around 7-8 PSI

·
Registered
252 Posts
definitely tip chip regular take about .5 second to shift up or down if you think about 5 gears 2.5 seconds you losing

with tip chip i would say 0.1~0.2 second

cheapest way to improve the time is making your car lighter,

use smaller wheels, 15s remove stuffs like spare tire, heavy amps speakers, alot of stuff you don't need ....if you don't need em get rid of them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts