Help Replacing Rear Turn Indicator Bulb on a 2016

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Neutral

Help Replacing Rear Turn Indicator Bulb on a 2016

Hoping someone can help here . . . I have a rear turn indicator bulb out, and it's not clear how to replace it. I can get the tail light assembly off fine, but what's next? There are a lot of Youtube videos that show the method for models up to 2015, but the 2016 assembly is different (no back panel to remove from the assembly).

I did try removing the screws that fasten the lens to the assembly, but trying to pry apart the lens resulted in cracking. The bulb socket itself does not seem to be removable.

The very unhelpful owner's manual says to see a dealer. Seriously? I've read about VW not being DIY-friendly, but this is ridiculous.

(Oh, and I did search the site, but can find nothing on this - and I'm not new to forums. If I missed something, I apologize in advance.).

Thanks,

Marc (frustrated though reasonably competent home mechanic)

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Well prying apart the lens does absolutely nothing.

It's been a while so I'm going by memory. Once you have removed the rear light assembly there should be an area roughly 5"x5" which is held in place by several plastic clips. You need to gently push these plastic clips and that 5x5 pops out and all bulbs are right there.

Neutral
    Thanks for the reply. I believe you are correct for the Passat up to 2015, but in 2016 the lens assembly is different - at least mine is. No back panel with latches. I'm going to give it another try and will post photos/procedure if successful (and maybe if I'm not).

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    While we're on the topic of lights, I have a 2013 Passat with a low-beam headlight issue

Can anyone tell me which part was being replaced for this low-beam issue?

I have one of my headlights that sometimes doesnt work. If i open the hood and touch it it works. But then it might shut off again a few minutes later. Read somewhere this was a known issue and im trying to figure out which part i should order and replace.

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information