Front sway bar replacement

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Neutral

Front sway bar replacement

My wife has a 2012 S model with the 2.5L 5 cylinder and one of the brackets that mounts the sway bar to the subframe broke. You can't replace just the brackets because of piss poor design (bracket is welded around the bushing) so i bought a replacement sway bar. From what I'm reading, I'll need to drop the subframe to get the old bar out and likewise, get the new bar in place. Just curious if anyone has any tips or tricks? I found info on other models but info is limited on these Passats. I'm wondering if i can just loosen the subframe to drop it enough to wiggle the bar out or if I need to completely drop it. I'll figure it out either way but I figured I'd ask. I tried searching and like I said, can't really find anything specific to this car and I'm not sure how similar it is working on the various models as I'm not a VW guy. If anyone has any tips for this DIYer or can point me to a thread with info on this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Just wanted to report back that I completed this job. It actually went pretty smoothly except for the fact that most of the bolts mounting the sway bar to the subframe snapped off when I tried to remove them. Dropping the subframe is pretty straight forward. Just make sure you buy new subframe bolts as they are stretch bolts. I did not realize this until the night before I did the work when I was reviewing some info so I did the job and then bought bolts from the dealer the next day and replaced them 1 by 1. These are the part numbers I needed.

N-911-433-01 (2 of these bolts)
    N-912-084-01 (4 of these bolts)

I found the torque specs online and used 70 NM (52 ft/lbs) plus 180 degrees. Car feels amazing now! I had a major clunking going on and I think it was the subframe clunking around. I also replaced the endlinks.

All in all, not too bad of a job. I still think it's completely ridiculous that they designed it so that you have to replace the entire bar when a bracket fails but it doesn't surprise me on these silly cars.

Just note that the stretch bolts for the subframe are extremely expensive. It cost me over $50 from my local dealer for the 6 bolts. I'm sure they can be found online for a little bit cheaper though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information