1.4 tsi turbo swap

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Neutral

1.4 tsi turbo swap

Hello gentlemen,
    I`m hoping you can give me an advice or idea on the following situation.

There is this 1.4 tsi EcoFuel engine with a broken turbo (shaft playing on all axis). Engine code CDGA, Turbo part number 03C145701S.
    Side note - it`s on a 2010 Touran, but the engine is put on other vehicles too.

We tried 3 different CHRAs, and they all don`t fit in the turbo "housing", compressor wheel or shaft seem to be a bit longer than the original.

I`m suspecting different turbo revisions. Either way - all external connections (oil supply, exhaust manifold, etc...) seem to match regardless the revision.

So, idea number one is to get some old, newer revision turbo, use its remaining life then put the CHRA we have (the one that does not fit in my turbo).

Idea number 2 - No idea if German engineers have used their full potential to produce different turbines for 1.4TSI and 1.4TSI EcoFuel. Seems logical to be different due to fuel/gases/temps...but, if they are all the same then I would put any 1.4TSI turbo.

I would like to avoid spending $$ on brand new KKK or Borg Warner turbo.

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Just for the record - the Ecofuel turbo is with smaller compressor, in order to spin and "produce" boost quicker...
    And I went with a turbo from a normal TSI, 03C145701T which is so far working normally. There is a word the T version is more durable, we`ll see.
    Even if this one fails, its with the more common and less expensive CHRA parts which makes it a better alternative.

Now, we must fix the cold start stalling problem, but that`s a different topic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information