TPMS Switch?

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Thread: TPMS Switch?

3rd Gear

TPMS Switch?

So I have an '08 Passat VR6 which comes with a tire-pressure monitoring system (I think all '08s do). I found this on oempl.us and was confused why my car doesn't already have it.

http://oempl.us/index.php?main_page=...roducts_id=779

Any thoughts? I assume it is on all the time so I'm not sure why you'd need the switch.
    Black / Beige Leather / MTX / 2003 Passat 1.8T GLS

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleser View Post
    So I have an '08 Passat VR6 which comes with a tire-pressure monitoring system (I think all '08s do). I found this on oempl.us and was confused why my car doesn't already have it.

http://oempl.us/index.php?main_page=...roducts_id=779

Any thoughts? I assume it is on all the time so I'm not sure why you'd need the switch.
    In the US, the TPMS system is an active system. That means the sensors are always transmitting the pressure and the antenna is always picking up that signal.

In the ROW (Rest of the world) cars it is a passive system that is figured out through the ABS system. There is no TPMS module constantly monitoring the pressure. So if one tire gets low, it drags that wheel down a little bit slowing it down. Through the ABS magic, it determines it is a TPMS problem triggering the light.

Once you fill the tire back up, the light does not automatically reset as it does on our cars. So you have to press that button to reset it.

(Atleast that is the way I remember it. I am sure if I am wrong someone will correct me)

[email protected]
    1-800-808-5000 Extension 2763
    Contact me anytime from Monday through Thursday 10a - 7pm Pacific for a 25% discount on almost all parts.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
    In the US, the TPMS system is an active system. That means the sensors are always transmitting the pressure and the antenna is always picking up that signal.

In the ROW (Rest of the world) cars it is a passive system that is figured out through the ABS system. There is no TPMS module constantly monitoring the pressure. So if one tire gets low, it drags that wheel down a little bit slowing it down. Through the ABS magic, it determines it is a TPMS problem triggering the light.

Once you fill the tire back up, the light does not automatically reset as it does on our cars. So you have to press that button to reset it.

(Atleast that is the way I remember it. I am sure if I am wrong someone will correct me)
    confirmed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    I get it now. Thanks!
    Black / Beige Leather / MTX / 2003 Passat 1.8T GLS

Neutral
    Where is the mystical reset button on a 2007 model?

2nd Gear
    they say inside glove box, I have an 08 so gonna look tonight

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information