$400 passat

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Rfunk1929
  • 1 Post By Emry
  • 3 Post By Iowegian
  • 1 Post By jjpark
  • 2 Post By John_E

Thread: $400 passat

Neutral

$400 passat

Good day everyone. So I'm on my way home from work and notice what appeared to be my son broke down on the other side of road. I turn around pull behind the car and to my surprise some young kid came out the drivers seat that wasn't my son. o wait this aint my kids car lmao. so I ask the kid if he needs help. starts it up after 2 min antifreeze blows out overflow. so I tell the kid he has cracked head or head gasket blown. kid almost started to cry said he just bought it. I have been looking for a parts car for my son and when I told the kid this he offered it to me on the spot. so I give him 400 he hands the pink. Day later load it on roll back and off to the garage I go. now I live in upstate ny. salt is the number 1 killer of cars up here. I get this thing on the lift and cannot find a spec of rust anyplace. inside is like new paint is still shinny suspension seems perfect. I have a 15 year old who will be driving soon should I just put a head on this thing and go? it only has 97000 on it. must be the former owner had the water pump go out he replaced the pump and belt but I think the damage was done already. sold after realized needed possible head. my oldest wants hood doors trunk but I hate to part out such a nice looking Passat. Head or no Head. That is todays Question.

Update!!!!! I have got in contact with original owner. Internet is a great thing. They have owned since new. water pump went out on it. They changed pump and timing belt but when mechanic said 1200 more for head after the rest they said no and sold. I have now all maint records. new cv axles and front end. new struts shocks car is bone stock. I will be doing all the work myself. I have lift and every tool you can think of. oil was changed every 5000 with Valvoline synthetic. I even have all the oil window stickers since day 1. This is a 1.8t and I can get a complete rebuilt head with cams for 500 so im going for it.
    Last edited by Rfunk1929; 07-16-2019 at 06:51 AM.
    benzivr6 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    If you do all the labor yourself then it may be worth it otherwise sell it to a junk yard for $500 quickly.
    John_E likes this.

4th Gear
    Fix it up! What motor is it?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    I'm guessing 1.8t since the V6 doesn't seem to have over-heat issues like the 1.8t has. It's not a big job to replace the head on a 1.8t and with only 97k and no rust I'd keep it intact. Good luck!

24H lemons car !

1st Gear
    I would do more diagnosing other than your first thought of "must be a head gasket or cracked head". That is indeed a possibility, but I for sure would dig more into what and why it is doing what it is doing. I feel bad for the kid, nobody wants immediate issues with a new to you car cause someone sells you a vehicle with issues and doesn't disclose them.
    TomK

3rd Gear
    I agree with kutch1

Dig into it more to see if it is the head and not a faulty WP, coolant blockage, failed resivor cap or something else. Would suck to replace the head only to find out is was something else.
    John_E likes this.

5th Gear
    This thread reminds me of the adage, "There is no such thing as a cheap tool." (Cheap tools break, damage heads of nuts and bolts, cause bruised knuckles and worse, etc.) We can expand it to, "There is no such thing as a cheap car." In either case, you pay one way or another.
    Emry and Hirnbeiss like this.

2nd Gear
    That adage is especially true with a B5, since a neglected one is sure to need at least $500 worth of control arms & cv boots right off the bat. Probably rubber shock and snub mounts too.

I would ask the original kid if he wants to pay for the head repair, since it is otherwise so nice. If he declines, go the own son route.

Neutral
    It is a 1.8t

Neutral
    1.8t

Neutral
    It was a messed up thing to do as far as not telling kid head was bad. but the only thing he lost was some time. he only paid 400 for it so I gave him what he paid.

Neutral
    Funny, I was offered a $750 Forester with a "leaky head gasket" from a shop here in town. Seems a lady from the big city didn't want to deal with it, and I offered to get it towed down to St Louis for her for $500 and she could trade it in for $3K or so. She wanted rid of it - she bought it for her grand daughter who was supposed to finish her GED...she never started. So I took it.

It has.$750 worth of Michelins on it that are 6 months old and look new. So there's that.

However, I won't do a Subaru head gaskets. But $3000 total for a 09 car with 123K on it....so far so good. My 15 year old cabbage onto it.

Not that this matters or anything...worst case: slap a reman motor in it and away you go?

16. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information