Odd noise from inside passenger foot well

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Neutral

Odd noise from inside passenger foot well

In the past couple of weeks a strange noise has developed in the passenger foot well between 20 - 22K rpms. 1999 1.8T GLS manual AEB 160K miles.
    Noise developed after i did a full monty to replace TB tensioner, also put in new TB, serpentine, AC belt, thermostat, and cam TC tensioner, and cam seals.
    https://i.imgur.com/baKjtxv.jpg
    All went well except for stubborn aux fan switch plug which was very difficult to remove and refused to go back in properly. Have new plug and boot now and plan to install this week.

Back to the noise, it began a week or so after the major work, can't be heard from the engine bay. I have been underneath and checked trans mounts, head pipe, heat shields, motor mounts, all are tight and solid. Here's what I've got: https://youtu.be/bwIy6qnVAbM

My only guess is that something has fallen behind a heat shield, possibly torx bit or screw. (I didn't notice the dirty floor mat until I took video!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Check the fender well skirts, sounds like maybe it's rubbing on the tire.

Neutral
    Nevermind, listened again that sounds like a heat shield to me, I'm stumped haha

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Unless, do you still have that shield on the bottom of the engine that attaches in the rear to that strip of me dangley metal? If so I suspect you may have lost a screw or two out of it.... Final answer

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PiedTyper View Post
    Check the fender well skirts, sounds like maybe it's rubbing on the tire.
    I was thinking the same thing, that he didn't fully re-attached the wheel liners, but that theory is kind of out-the-window considering he's not moving.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by PiedTyper View Post
    Unless, do you still have that shield on the bottom of the engine that attaches in the rear to that strip of me dangley metal? If so I suspect you may have lost a screw or two out of it.... Final answer
    Both front and rear bottom engine covers are off. I was checking around the fender well yesterday and all felt OK. I guess my real question/worry is, if this is an engine or turbo problem or just an annoying buzz that I will continue to search for. I may take it to my local mechanic where we can put it on the lift and listen underneath to try to locate the source. Thank you and others for the replies.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by thomba1999vw View Post
    Both front and rear bottom engine covers are off. I was checking around the fender well yesterday and all felt OK. I guess my real question/worry is, if this is an engine or turbo problem or just an annoying buzz that I will continue to search for. I may take it to my local mechanic where we can put it on the lift and listen underneath to try to locate the source. Thank you and others for the replies.
    They have mechanic stethoscopes that *might* help you narrow it down. I have one that I use on bikes. Not sure if it would help given the ambient engine noise, or difficulty accessing certain locations without a lift. Is it possible a loose bolt or socket was left on or in the engine bay during your work? I know stuff ends up all over the place when I have large jobs, consuming endless time looking for tools. One long-shot is to shove one of those telescoping magnetic rods into the general location in the engine bay and see if you come up with anything loose.

Neutral
    Just returned from my mechanic, we went for a ride with him in the passenger seat. He immediately said, the guts of the catalytic converter are rattling, could feel it on the floor. This sounds reasonable to me, he said to let the car cool down and tap on the converter to see if any noise is coming from the inside. Will keep you posted.
    You're right about the possibility of something having fallen down around the back of the engine area, ask how I know! Will check the cat first.
    Thanks, Tom B.
    Last edited by thomba1999vw; 06-26-2019 at 11:07 AM.

Neutral

Odd noise

OK, banged around a bit on the cat, no rattles what so ever, solid as a rock. Reached in with a 24" rod from top of engine bay to tap on the heat shields on the right side of the car. I found that I could get some noise or light tapping sound from the shield/cover above the tunnel when I pushed it a bit from the side. I am pretty convinced that something (stone, tool bit, screw, nut) has gotten into that area. Part number 3 on this page: https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/p.../8/804-804010/

I plan to get under and loosen or remove this and perhaps other shields to see if something is amiss or falls out!

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information