Got a "fair condition" W8 w/ a few small codes

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Got a "fair condition" W8 w/ a few small codes

I have been searching for a W8 for years, and yes I knew what I was getting myself into haha! It is also a 6MT w/194K engine and clutch replaced at 30K, owner informed they were all freeway miles and was open about the other issues mentioned below

So being one of 329 in this configuration and I plan to keep it for many years!

AC is broken (G65 and F129) according to vcds some broken flaps n such also..
    Cam Code P0025 "Drivers Exhaust solenoid" - shock treatment did not work, all other 3 actuated fine.
    Vehicle Speed Sensor - replaced and fixed
    Front left wheel speed sensor "I have the EPS/ABS dash lights intermitally"

Can I replace the solenoid by itself or does it need the whole ASY? I think I can simply pop the valve cover and replace the solenoid in an hour.

Also, I dont know where the G65 pressure switch is located. I have a new switch ready to go in. Does anyone know where this switch is located?

Side that the car is beautiful and a joy to drive. Need to figure out the P0025 before I put any more miles on it

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    That's sure looks like the car I was spying about 2 weeks ago.

I picked it up in Gardnerville, NV. Sure a unique drive, like a mixture of a b5s4 and a C5 4.2. I like

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

STF
    1st Gear
    How much did you pay? Thanks.

3rd Gear
    G65 is located the same place as the pressure switch on 1.8T and V6 engines. It's on the passenger side of the condenser coil, above where the refrigerant lines connect. See Bentley p. V87-52. Bentley advises carrier lock position for the bumper.

However, note that G65 (on the W8) is not a (4-pin) pressure switch. Rather, it's a (3-pin) pressure sensor, which provides an analog pressure signal which is used by the Climatronic module to control N280 A/C Compressor Regulator Valve. No plain old A/C clutch for a W8!
    Ref. Bentley schematic 74/6 and page V87-43 "General Information" and V87-45 bottom half.

I'd advise that you look carefully at the code (presumably visible from the Climatronic). The pressure sensor may just be seeing no pressure, i.e. no refrigerant, and thus preventing the compressor from running. If so, the sensor is fine, but you've got a leak...

Quote Originally Posted by FrescoGreen01.5 View Post
    G65 is located the same place as the pressure switch on 1.8T and V6 engines. It's on the passenger side of the condenser coil, above where the refrigerant lines connect. See Bentley p. V87-52. Bentley advises carrier lock position for the bumper.

However, note that G65 (on the W8) is not a (4-pin) pressure switch. Rather, it's a (3-pin) pressure sensor, which provides an analog pressure signal which is used by the Climatronic module to control N280 A/C Compressor Regulator Valve. No plain old A/C clutch for a W8!
    Ref. Bentley schematic 74/6 and page V87-43 "General Information" and V87-45 bottom half.

I'd advise that you look carefully at the code (presumably visible from the Climatronic). The pressure sensor may just be seeing no pressure, i.e. no refrigerant, and thus preventing the compressor from running. If so, the sensor is fine, but you've got a leak...
    Thank you for the quick reply. It is indeed the 3 pin plug "According to the BOMs I have found online", I was able to obtain a diagram from the dealer:

v

Before taking the front off, I will check pressures. Good idea!

I do see the AC clutch spinning when the AC is switched on...

RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    it's not one of 329 - it's one of 432.

PZ
    Redline
    What color is that? It looks pretty good.

I paid a grand. I am not sure the color, to me it is a green/teal/aqua color. One of 432*

So I got the AC to work the other day without doing anything. Just worked! I proceeded to the G65 with an upgraded one and the G65 and the open /short to ground and fault code went away. I cleared the codes and the flap codes went away as well. I now ONLY have 00792 - a/c pressure switch (f129) and, now the AC doesnt work again!

I also do not have any of the AC relays behind the knee bolster like, the 384 or the 267 so not sure what to diagnose next. Pretty sure the ac system is driven off a fan control module.. Compressor clutch always appears to be spinning, pressure in the system did show green when I tested it at the auto store "when the AC was working the only time"

Even the wiring diagram says it is supposed to be there which I find odd...
    https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...l_module_j314/

After further diagnostics, the compressor is running but activating the N208 pressure release to pump the fluid because the pressure switch is not allowing it to do so.
    Last edited by LakeTahoeQuattro; 07-15-2019 at 03:21 PM.

3rd Gear
    No Passat with Climatronic has a 384 relay, especially a W8. Everything is controlled by the Climatronic module, not to be confused with the fan control module (which is mounted on the interior fan motor and is just a speed controller).

Take a look at Bentley schematic 74 and it will be much clearer. What you won't find there is F129--it doesn't exist in the W8 configuration.

To get an accurate diagnosis, you need to be looking at the codes on the Climatronic directly, or via VCDS. Live data is invaluable. A generic code reader won't do the job, particularly for a unicorn car.

Quote Originally Posted by FrescoGreen01.5 View Post
    No Passat with Climatronic has a 384 relay, especially a W8. Everything is controlled by the Climatronic module, not to be confused with the fan control module (which is mounted on the interior fan motor and is just a speed controller).

Take a look at Bentley schematic 74 and it will be much clearer. What you won't find there is F129--it doesn't exist in the W8 configuration.

To get an accurate diagnosis, you need to be looking at the codes on the Climatronic directly, or via VCDS. Live data is invaluable. A generic code reader won't do the job, particularly for a unicorn car.
    Yes you are very accurate. I have codes 318, 333, and 444, correlates with my VCDS. Are Climatronic Modules known to go bad? I sort of wish this had the knobs and dials!

I found the problem, the system is empty, leak in the system, I got one of the ac refillers at autozone to test. Once I get fixed I will do a proper evac and fill.

So on the car, once I filled enough pressure it activates the compressor, I can hear it, almost makes it to the green. Then the needle drops and I can hear a hissing behind the firewall behind PN 11, grommet. I replaced PN 6 in the below diagram and new seals. Same problem, I am now confident the evaporator is bad. I will one day day pull the dash and put a new one in, for now its moved to bottom of the list.

I gave up and proceeded to replace the the FL ABS wheel sensor for code 00283 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Left (G47): Open or Short to Plus

Didnt fix it, problem is in the car.

On a positive point I got the new B2 tensioner cheap on ebay new. I am just going to replace the solenoid and hope it fixes the cam code, I am not going to put on the whole ASY at this time.

Looking now for the valve cover gasket 07D103483C and (4) 022103484d, would be nice to clear at least one dash light haha
    Last edited by LakeTahoeQuattro; 07-15-2019 at 03:23 PM.

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information