The nozzle on the top of the coolant tank broke off, is it safe to drive?

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tortelious
  • 1 Post By passat03wagon
  • 2 Post By passat03wagon

Thread: The nozzle on the top of the coolant tank broke off, is it safe to drive?

1st Gear

The nozzle on the top of the coolant tank broke off, is it safe to drive?

The nozzle on top of the coolant tank broke off as I was moving the tank out of the way to disconnect some sensors. Attached is a stock picture of the tank with the area that broke circled in red. There's about a 1/4in piece left that's reinforced with plastic bars on the top and bottom and that piece didn't break off. I dremeled the bars away so I could fit the hose over that piece. I'm not sure if it will hold though, like if the tank is pressurized I doubt it.

Is it safe for me to drive the car to pick up a new coolant tank from VW (hopefully)? What happens if that area is not connected, will all the coolant leak out?

coolant tank broken nozzle.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Yes the coolant will leak out. Think of reservoir cap as the radiator cap, it’s under pressure.

2nd Gear

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    Make sure you buy a genuine reservoir. The after market ones won't fit or last long. The stealership will charge you more but I think it's worth it since you won't have any worries afterwards in terms of cracks or misfits.

That is, I believe, a return line. If you have to drive the vehicle, just don't tighten the cap down. No pressure will build up, and it won't leak out the top.
    ylwagon likes this.

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortelious View Post
    If you have to drive the vehicle, just don't tighten the cap down. No pressure will build up, and it won't leak out the top.
    But the leak is not just because of the pressure. When car drives the coolant moves violently within the reservoir as you climb up and down the potholes. There will be some leaks anyway.

The coolant flows through that when thermostat opens. I wouldn’t drive like that. The car will overheat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5th Gear
    I think that it's safe to drive to the parts department. As Tortelious said, leave the cap loose (or off) and the hose should stay on that stub long enough. Even if it came off, coolant loss would be at a pretty low rate.

1st Gear
    Thanks guys. I ordered a new OEM reservoir from VW so I pick that up this afternoon. I decided to MacGyver the broken nozzle by drilling through the remaining piece of nozzle and hose with 1/16" bit and leaving the bit in place and dremeling off the excess. So hopefully it has a better chance of holding. I'll let you all know what happens...

coolant tank nozzle drilled 1 of 3.jpg

coolant tank nozzle drilled 2 of 3.jpg

coolant tank nozzle drilled 3 of 3.jpg
    jjpark likes this.

1st Gear
    I picked up the new reservoir without issue. I left the cap on the old reservoir and the hose held and the coolant stayed at 190 degrees. To anyone trying the drill bit technique I forgot to mention I had cleared the plastic debris from inside the nozzle that was left over from the drilling so it wouldn't enter the coolant.
    VAGguy and jjpark like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information