Oil Pressure STOP warning 2001 V6

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By AndreasPassat
  • 2 Post By Hirnbeiss
  • 2 Post By John_E

Thread: Oil Pressure STOP warning 2001 V6

Neutral

Oil Pressure STOP warning 2001 V6

2001 Passat GLX V6 95K

I’ve had this car since 2004 and for the first time ever the dreaded Oil Pressure light screamed at me today. I’ve researched this question here but this incident is different than others I’ve read about.

In my case I was driving some curvy roads on the way to the coast at a slightly above average speed (30-40 mph on 20-30 mph curves). I hit a couple of these curves in quick succession and was decelerating when it went off. I slowed down and within 15 seconds the light vanished. The car operated properly throughout.

So, any thoughts if this is something to be concerned about? Oil level is good and vehicle has always had synthetic oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    usually it's the 1.8s with oil "sadness" however ,obviously you checked the oil (dipstick) .....couple things ,whats the mileage? and oil used? ,Oil pan is easy to drop to take a "looksie" at oil pick up tube , might be partially clogged from years of detritus ......,someone can chime in 'cause I cannot remember if they (2.8s) have a windage tray.

3rd Gear
    dah,just saw mileage ,sorry

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    and oil....... , what weight?

Overdrive
    Oil pressure light during lateral acceleration implies low oil level. What's the dipstick read? Was it measured on a flat surface? Is it the right dipstick for the car?

Neutral
    The stick, which is correct for the car, reads a quart low on flat surface. Will add and see what happens. Thank you!

4th Gear
    If the car is only a quart low it shouldn't trigger the light.
    By any chance do you have the low oil sensor on the very bottom surface of the oil pan? Those sensors are known to fail and give false readings.

Look for this sensor on the bottom of the oil pan. Can't miss it. If there's a sensor, you have low oil sensing option on your car.
    If the sensor is not there, you don't have that option.

jjpark likes this.

PZ
    Redline
    I've had the light come on several times on my vehicles during hard turns. I tend to take them at well above normal speeds and when the car is 1L low, it will trigger the low level sensor.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasPassat View Post
    If the car is only a quart low it shouldn't trigger the light.
    By any chance do you have the low oil sensor on the very bottom surface of the oil pan? Those sensors are known to fail and give false readings.

Look for this sensor on the bottom of the oil pan. Can't miss it. If there's a sensor, you have low oil sensing option on your car.
    If the sensor is not there, you don't have that option.

Not sure but I’ll check when I get home. I’m suspecting that the sensor is working properly.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    I've had the light come on several times on my vehicles during hard turns. I tend to take them at well above normal speeds and when the car is 1L low, it will trigger the low level sensor.

Turns out I was about 1.5 quarts low so thinking this was the issue.

2nd Gear
    We’ll go with oil level was too low for now, but the fact that it surprised you (you initially said level was good) is concerning. I would change the oil with a quality filter and then monitor consumption with the dipstick more frequently. Chances are good you’re due for a PCV refresh and valve cover gasket replacement.
    cchief22 and kwarren1079 like this.

5th Gear
    This is also a good time to check your coolant recovery system cap for oil contamination from a bad oil cooler (extremely common problem).
    cchief22 and kwarren1079 like this.

Neutral
    Thank you all, it’ll be in the shop by the end of the week.

16. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information