Window Controller Motor - Fix?

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

4th Gear

Window Controller Motor - Fix?

1998 B5 GLS Sedan

Symptom: Passengers front window goes up and down at will, without touching the window function buttons.

Wanting to know if re-flowing the solder joints will cure this problem?
    Could this be a problem with the window controller in the drivers side door?
    Changed out CCM, problem still present, reacts the same way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Did you check the grounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd Gear
    Andreas, sounds like your car is possessed.

Have you tried disconnecting the master switch on the driver's door to see if it stops?

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by axenstar View Post
    Did you check the grounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes. The grounds are pristine condition on my car.
    However I still whatever code it is that says window switch short to plus. I can't scan my car right now, I'm laptopless.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by LineInTheWater View Post
    Andreas, sounds like your car is possessed.

Have you tried disconnecting the master switch on the driver's door to see if it stops?
    No, That's why I'm curious to know if it really could be the drivers side.
    I know the easy answer for that would be to disconnect the drivers door, but I thought the driver door is the driving force / brain for all doors.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasPassat View Post
    No, That's why I'm curious to know if it really could be the drivers side.
    I know the easy answer for that would be to disconnect the drivers door, but I thought the driver door is the driving force / brain for all doors.
    "Window switch short to plus" seems like a lead.

It could be if the driver's side master switch, specifically the passenger-side window switch on it is damaged, corroding, etc (water ingress?), or the wiring for that window is damaged at the connector. I haven't taken apart the master switch, so not quite sure how it makes the contacts. I'm not saying it's the most probable, but it is very easy to access the back of the switch and remove the connector, so easy to rule in/out. If the passenger side window is predictably erratic, you'll know pretty quickly.

If that doesn't work, I would confirm it's not the passenger's side switch going out (or the connector / wiring). Again, not saying probable, but easy to access and temporarily disconnect.

If none of that rules in anything, then I would start to suspect damaged wiring somewhere. All the wiring on the doors goes to the motor as a central hub, where it splits off, so inspect all the relevant lines. Pull the OEM cloth tape and inspect wires, and harnesses at the door hinges.

For a short term fix, if you can't immediately find the culprit, I guess you can carefully pull the pins that actuate the passenger motor off the large connector. I don't have the pinouts, but I'm sure someone here has them.

Just thinking off the top of my head.

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information