V6 Auto Driver Side Cat. removal

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Neutral

V6 Auto Driver Side Cat. removal

There isn't enough room to slide the cat. pipe backwards to extract the assembly. The Bentley makes no mention of removing transmission support or maybe dropping the sub frame to get enough clearance. Is there a write up some where's on this ? Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Are you talking about an AHA or ATQ code engine?
    The AHA has post cats only ( 2 of them under where the seats are).
    The ATQ has (2) cats per side. One right behind the exhaust manifold and the other the same as the AHA code engine.

This shows the AHA code V6 with only a post cat but the same procedure is required. You might have to remove the drivers side transmission mount too slide the cat down and out the bottom of the car, if yours is an ATQ.

Neutral
    Thanks for the reply, yes mine is a ATQ with the 2 cat.'s . and it is an automatic. The video shows what must be a manual transmission because there didn't seem to be a clearance issue pulling it back like mine has. So the whole support for the trans. on the driver's side has to be removed? I would assume that support must be given to the trans. for this to be done. Is there any other video's/posts that address this?

Thanks again for the feedback.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Btitans View Post
    So the whole support for the trans. on the driver's side has to be removed?
    Yes, the large bolt that holds the transmission to it's mount, then remove the mount with rubber, then remove the mount bracket on the side of the transmission. I've never had to loosened up the sub-frame. Don't want to do that then your alignment is shot and that'll have to get re-aligned.
    The engine and transmission with the remaining mounts in place will hold everything just fine. Getting another support under there will just get in you way anyways.

I have not been able to find a decent video that shows exactly what you want. Doesn't mean they don't exist though.

Neutral
    Thanks for the feedback, any pictures or diagrams that shows what to remove? .

Update:

I did find some write ups on replacing the trans. mounts, but I was hoping for the minimum required to pull the cat. out through the bottom.

Thanks
    Last edited by Btitans; 06-05-2019 at 04:01 PM.

4th Gear
    I've got a ton of pictures from various rebuilds and engine / transmission pulls, let me see if I have what you need.

Neutral
    Thanks, while your looking I see that some companies sell both the exhaust for a ATQ with only 1 cat. and the 2 that I have. They show that both are compatible with the B5 ATQ passat. Do you know the difference? Maybe one is for manual versus auto?

Thanks Again

4th Gear
    The exhaust with the single CAT per side is for the early model V6 with engine code AHA.
    The system with (2) CATs per side is the for the V6 engine code ATQ.
    The ATQ engine had a fairly significant amount of changes compared to the AHA version. Most of them having to do with emissions.
    Other changes having to do with oil delivery to the valve train on the cylinder head(s).
    Incidentally AHA and ATQ heads can be swapped. AHA heads on an ATQ motor and ATQ heads on an AHA motor.

I don't know for certain because I've never actually done it, the ATQ engine will run with the AHA version exhaust, however I don't think it will pass emissions. I'm fairly certain the ATQ had tighter emissions tolerances.

EDIT
    The transmission being automatic or manual had nothing to with what exhaust was used.

Neutral
    I can attest to AHA pipes working on ATQ since my car actually has them. Why it has them I have no idea, but they're rusted through so I am replacing them this weekend. If you want any pics while I tear them out I would be more than happy to. But I have the 5MT so trans issues wouldn't be similar.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by tipd14 View Post
    I can attest to AHA pipes working on ATQ since my car actually has them. Why it has them I have no idea, but they're rusted through so I am replacing them this weekend. If you want any pics while I tear them out I would be more than happy to. But I have the 5MT so trans issues wouldn't be similar.
    Yes please. 2002 ATQ and I will be doing exhaust work soon.

Neutral
    Thanks for the info. on AHA vs ATQ exhaust. Anyone suggest a decent ATQ exhaust manufacturer?

4th Gear
    PM sent

PZ
    Redline
    On the couple that I have done, I have lowered the rear of the subframe. I use a tall jack stand on the body of the trans (not the pan). The manual trans is much easier than the Tip as there is a lot more room to reach the bolts.

Neutral
    Thanks for the feedback, I was able to get all of the exhaust nuts off, not much room but taking the time to seek a way seemed to help alot. Manual would have been nice but I've been nursing this auto for years now.

As far as dropping the subframe back-end, from looking at it wouldn't be easier to remove the trans. mount while supporting the trans.?

Thanks Again
    Last edited by Btitans; 06-10-2019 at 09:28 AM.

4th Gear
    For me personally, I would prefer to pull the trans mounts on the left side and then pull the exhaust vs dropping the rear of the sub-frame.
    Saves me a front end alignment.

Neutral
    Thanks for the info., I was able to locate from a junkyard good cat.'s but the flex and part of the exhaust was missing. I know the OD of the exhaust is 50 mm, but around here 2" OD is available. All that seems to support the exhaust back is on the downpipe before the cat., seems like along ways with no other support, am I missing something? Also since I'm going to piece this together (NY same as CA. now) does anyone have the distance from the support bracket to the cat.s going towards the back of the car, and from the end of the cat. to the resonator, passenger and driver have different distances to the resonators.

Thanks for any help

PZ
    Redline
    50mm is virtually the same as 2". 0.8mm will not make any difference. Is your car a FWD or 4Mo? I have 4Mo pipes buried in the garage and my son will be home with his FWD on Friday.

Neutral
    Fwd

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    50mm is virtually the same as 2". 0.8mm will not make any difference. Is your car a FWD or 4Mo? I have 4Mo pipes buried in the garage and my son will be home with his FWD on Friday.
    you have a set of 4mo flex pipes hanging about? what other exhaust parts? I will need to do both flex pipes and a bit more on my adopted 2002 2.8l atq 4mo glx wagon

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by Btitans View Post
    Fwd
    He get's here late tonight. I can look at it Friday afternoon. I'll try to take pics and measure it out, but I have to check the coolant and oil leaks before anything else.

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by ar393 View Post
    you have a set of 4mo flex pipes hanging about? what other exhaust parts? I will need to do both flex pipes and a bit more on my adopted 2002 2.8l atq 4mo glx wagon
    A full set of rust-free downpipes with 4 cats, but I did install spacers on the rear O2 sensors as I had codes for them and did not want to pay for a software update to the ECU. I also have the rest of the exhaust, but it's on the car at the moment, it's also rust free. I had planned on keeping the downpipes to fit into my son's FWD car since it has lived in Pittsburgh the last 5 years. I don't know if they are the same or not.

24. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information