shark fin antenna on B5

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: shark fin antenna on B5

4th Gear

shark fin antenna on B5

Old school mod info needed. Wondering what shark fin antenna to use to convert the whip style antenna on my B5. My whip style is getting pretty baked from sun and it's starting to leak, so I thought as long as I'm in there...
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Have you ever had a shark fin antenna off? I just had mine off for a repaint. It just has a wire attached to the whip base with a screw. It’s double face taped to the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Jzallan View Post
    Have you ever had a shark fin antenna off? I just had mine off for a repaint. It just has a wire attached to the whip base with a screw. It’s double face taped to the roof.

As far as I know the antenna has a 14mm nut that secures it to the roof from the inside of the car.

EDIT
    That's a 14mm thread, not the actual size of the hex on the nut.
    Last edited by AndreasPassat; 05-31-2019 at 06:37 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    For your AM/FM reception? Maybe someone with radio electronics knowledge can weigh in, but I thought those 'shark fin' antennas were only for satellite radio frequencies. For instance, my B6 A4 has a roof fin antenna for satellite, but uses conductive paint "wires" on the rear window for broadcast radio.

4th Gear
    Yes for AM / FM only.

I was thinking about getting this one:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...kit/1k0998507/

1st Gear
    If you are fussy about appearance, check out Visual Garage (https://shop.visualgarage.com/) You will pay about $100 but to me it was worth it. You will get an antenna with a paint that perfectly matches your VW and performance that is essentially the same. When I ordered mine in 2015 it was through Amazon. I don't see that Amazon has it listed any more so I don't the status. I recommend it if they are still in business.

Overdrive
    Note that you will experience a loss of signal strength over the standard whip. Simple physics. Some people feel the shark fin is still "good enough" and are willing to do it for the look.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasPassat View Post
    Yes for AM / FM only.

I was thinking about getting this one:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...kit/1k0998507/
    The review says it has bad reception tho.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    Note that you will experience a loss of signal strength over the standard whip. Simple physics. Some people feel the shark fin is still "good enough" and are willing to do it for the look.
    Looks? I'm doing it so I can hit the 155mph mark, with the whip I'm maxed out at 153.

Seriously, I was wanting to do it more for the look and not having to replace the whip every other year from the sun drying it out and making it look like splintered fiberglass.
    Maybe I should stick with what I got. Put a new gasket on and call it a day.
    Last edited by AndreasPassat; 05-30-2019 at 06:18 PM.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by axenstar View Post
    The review says it has bad reception tho.

See last sentence of post #9.

See last sentence of post #9.
    Gotcha.
    Also, I found that the reception is as good even if you unscrew the top.

1st Gear
    I had tried the $19 variety of shark fin antennas and they provide basic AM/FM performance, not as good as a whip. All they have inside is a bit of pigtail wire. My experience with the VirtualGarage one is much better. It has a pc board inside with an etched 'meander line' providing more effective antenna length and loading. My road experience is good reception, even for a low wattage FM station in San Francisco.

5th Gear
    I don't have a good solution for you, because a whip antenna will outperform almost any of its better-looking competitors. I have had to replace mine exactly once because of the UV-induced plastic and rubber rot mentioned by others, but this was cheap and obviously painless.
    AndreasPassat likes this.

I went to the salvage yard today and got this off a 2007 Passat.
    DSCF3652.jpg
    DSCF3655.jpg
    The nut is 22mm.
    I will test reception this weekend.
    cchief22 likes this.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortelious View Post
    DSCF3652.jpg
    DSCF3655.jpg
    The nut is 22mm.

That's almost the same as the one I was thinking of buying from ECS Tuning. Curious to know how the reception is.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by jwjensen356 View Post
    I had tried the $19 variety of shark fin antennas and they provide basic AM/FM performance, not as good as a whip. All they have inside is a bit of pigtail wire. My experience with the VirtualGarage one is much better. It has a pc board inside with an etched 'meander line' providing more effective antenna length and loading. My road experience is good reception, even for a low wattage FM station in San Francisco.
    See, the factory antenna has a built-in amplifier AND a more effective mast. Hard for aftermarket to match.
    jjpark likes this.

5th Gear
    Word to the wise, I found (on my B6 A4) that the antenna's coax cable shield was not grounded as I assumed, but had to be 5V DC. This is how the antenna's amplifier circuit board above the rear window is powered. Until I figured out this little detail, I had practically no radio reception after installing an aftermarket sound system.
    axenstar and cchief22 like this.

That's almost the same as the one I was thinking of buying from ECS Tuning. Curious to know how the reception is.
    If it works, I'll grab you one from a Jetta or something while I am rummaging through the junk yard soon. They are the same.
    cchief22 and AndreasPassat like this.
    Glutton for Punishment: 16 A4 S-line Sport pkg Prem+, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 2017 Q5 Prem+

DSCF3652.jpg
    DSCF3655.jpg
    The nut is 22mm.
    You may need an adapter for it. The B5/B5.5 use an ISO antenna terminal. The newer ones are Fakra like your picture. Antenna types.jpg
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...se/1j0035501f/
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QKPDB7Y...detail_5?psc=1
    Glutton for Punishment: 16 A4 S-line Sport pkg Prem+, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 2017 Q5 Prem+

Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    You may need an adapter for it. The B5/B5.5 use an ISO antenna terminal. The newer ones are Fakra like your picture. Antenna types.jpg
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...se/1j0035501f/
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QKPDB7Y...detail_5?psc=1
    Well that would suck.

4th Gear
    If it works, I'll grab you one from a Jetta or something while I am rummaging through the junk yard soon. They are the same.
    That's the info I was looking for.

Nobody wants to do the S2000 stubby anymore? Been rocking mine since 2006

4th Gear
    Nobody wants to do the S2000 stubby anymore? Been rocking mine since 2006

A got to admit the responses from this post are not what I expected. I appreciate the people who chime in, really I do, but I thought I would be getting a different set of responses.
    It must be that the crowd I remember doing this kind of thing don't check into this forum anymore. This forum has changed a lot since I registered. The types of mods being done today don't seem to be as prolific as they were back in the day.
    Last edited by AndreasPassat; 06-01-2019 at 03:52 PM. Reason: grammar
    axenstar likes this.

I think everyone is in repair mode with the age these things are now.

ylwagon likes this.

Well, I swapped out the antennas just to see how the shark fin would fit. It was a no-go. As wagons are scarce in the salvage yard I go to, I pulled one off a sedan. The roofline curvature on my wagon is too flat for the rubber mount to accomodate.
    DSCF3656.jpgDSCF3657.jpg
    Dave, since you also have a wagon, ask VAGguy to pull one from a wagon when he goes looking.

Although my mast-type antenna is still in good shape, I'll keep looking. I already bought the adapter.
    Last edited by Tortelious; 06-01-2019 at 04:52 PM.

5th Gear
    A got to admit the responses from this post are not what I expected. I appreciate the people you chime in, really I do, but I thought I would be getting a different set of responses.
    It must be that the crowd I remember doing this kind of thing don't check into this forum anymore. This forum has changed a lot since I registered. The types of mods being done today don't seem to be as prolific as they were back in the day.
    It's not just a B5 issue, the whole "car mod" culture has petered out, from what I see. For instance, none of my son's friends care about cars as a hobby, or are even interested in how they work.
    AndreasPassat and cchief22 like this.

Well, I swapped out the antennas just to see how the shark fin would fit. It was a no-go. As wagons are scarce in the salvage yard I go to, I pulled one off a sedan. The roofline curvature on my wagon is too flat for the rubber mount to accommodate.
    DSCF3656.jpgDSCF3657.jpg
    Dave, since you also have a wagon, ask VAGguy to pull one from a wagon when he goes looking.

Although my mast-type antenna is still in good shape, I'll keep looking. I already bought the adapter.
    So, you confirmed that the plugs do not mate together, thus needing that adapter?

Yeah, I'd either have to find a Passat B6 wagon, which is like hens teeth, or a JSW. Not much comes in near me of those models or years.

This may help you. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ket/1k0035349/

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by ylwagon View Post
    It's not just a B5 issue, the whole "car mod" culture has petered out, from what I see. For instance, none of my son's friends care about cars as a hobby, or are even interested in how they work.
    (Chuckles) Five years working at the Dodge dealership, and not one single person has asked me about a compression ratio, suspension type, or gear ratio. Very few even ask what the horsepower is. EVERYONE of less than middle age asks about the number of speakers, amplifier power, navigation, and bluetooth.

As the company rep said, "You're doing it wrong. People don't buy cars these days, they buy radios, and the machinery to lug the radio around."

I'm assuming the real gear heads (it's Dodge, they must exist!) are only talking to Parts - but Sales sure doesn't see 'em!
    AndreasPassat and ylwagon like this.

Back on topic.

Just got back from the junk yard. Sampled 2007 Passat, 2009 Jetta and 2012 gti. ALL the later model VW shark fins are either sat radio, or both sat radio and gps antennas. The circuitry for AM/FM is in the window or a module connected to the window.

Looks like I’ll get getting an aftermarket sharkfin and a signal booster. Even if just for looks, because I only stream Bluetooth in my Passat.

5th Gear
    Back on topic...ALL the later model VW shark fins are either sat radio, or both sat radio and gps antennas. The circuitry for AM/FM is in the window or a module connected to the window.
    That's what I thought. My 3.0 wasn't GPS-equipped, so when I installed the aftermarket, but factory-OE looking NAV audio system, I mounted the GPS antenna above the glovebox housing, but under a part of the dash without a steel layer, where it works fine.

33. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in