shark fin antenna on B5 - Page 2

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: shark fin antenna on B5

This one will be here tomorrow. Should be able to report back this week on how it does. I will be using a powered antenna adapter behind my aftermarket radio to boost reception though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    AndreasPassat likes this.
    Glutton for Punishment: 16 A4 S-line Sport pkg Prem+, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 2017 Q5 Prem+

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Got off work early today so swung by the salvage yard for another look. Found one off a 2005 wagon. Funny, one 2005 had the shark-fin and another had the mast-type. That might be the transition year.
    This second one is much smaller and also has the same type plug-in as my 2002.DSCF3662.jpgDSCF3664.jpg

Can't swap 'em out yet - Yukon is taking up the garage and it's looking like rain is imminent.

The B5.5 did not have one, it must have been aftermarket unless it has VW/Audi symbols and a part number.

Reception is ok, but not a priority for me. Can’t remember if my aftermarket radio is using a powered or non powered ant adapter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AndreasPassat likes this.
    Glutton for Punishment: 16 A4 S-line Sport pkg Prem+, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 2017 Q5 Prem+

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    I am late to the game but I looked into the different fins and none gave me the confidence to try them. I never liked the whip on either my 01 or my 04 due to it being way too long and breaking apart.

Solution?

I peeled the bottom inch of plastic/ rubber off (where it was breaking off around the spring/ amplifier) and left the rest since the top part was fine. I then cut 3" maybe 4" off the top part of the whip/mast then used appropriate sized heat shrink tubing to cover everything but the threads on the bottom. I doubled up on the spring area to make it more rigid.

It looks soo much better and unless you are looking for it you don't notice what I did. The reception actually got better as I know pick up more stations.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by jjpark View Post
    I am late to the game but I looked into the different fins and none gave me the confidence to try them. I never liked the whip on either my 01 or my 04 due to it being way too long and breaking apart.

Solution?

I peeled the bottom inch of plastic/ rubber off (where it was breaking off around the spring/ amplifier) and left the rest since the top part was fine. I then cut 3" maybe 4" off the top part of the whip/mast then used appropriate sized heat shrink tubing to cover everything but the threads on the bottom. I doubled up on the spring area to make it more rigid.

It looks soo much better and unless you are looking for it you don't notice what I did. The reception actually got better as I know pick up more stations.
    Gotta admit I never thought of that. That might be a solution.

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information