Engine Swap

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Thread: Engine Swap

Neutral

Engine Swap

Hi, it's official, the 475K Passat needs an engine swap.

I found an engine that's in a car already selling for parts. Did a compression test on it, it reads 170-180 psi across all 6 cylinders. (V6 2.8)

Are those good numbers? From what i read already anything above 140 is good. This car has 235,000 km on it.

The car is standard and mine is automatic.

Are there any challenges installing this in my car from car that is standard? I imagine there is no difference with the engine but want to be 100% there's nothing extra I need.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    I know that one had to install an adapter for the pilot bearing when doing an automatic to manual swap. Not sure how the reverse applies.

Why not swap engine and transmission?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by egovreau View Post
    I know that one had to install an adapter for the pilot bearing when doing an automatic to manual swap. Not sure how the reverse applies.

Why not swap engine and transmission?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    He actually bought the car for a parts car and wants the manual transmission to put in his car. He also has an automatic. Thanks for the info I'll have to look into it further!

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    I'm assuming your a 2.8 V6 engine currently (no info on your profile).

I've pulled out more than a dozen V6's. There for a wile I was doing just because I could.
    What you are wanting to do I did with my 1998 GLS daily driver. V6 AHA code with 5sp manual FWD. (the difference being mine was manual trans)

You'll have to provide all accurate information, year model, engine code and transmission for what you're driving, and all the some info for what you're using as a replacement.
    If the engine codes are different (AHA to ATQ) or (ATQ to AHA) certain swaps will have to be made
    There is a crankshaft adapter that comes into play here with an automatic transmission.
    Also, the throttle valve body is different from an automatic vs manual trans on the AHA code engines.

You'll have to post up all the info from both engines, before an exact list of requirements can be given.
    Last edited by AndreasPassat; 05-28-2019 at 12:39 PM.

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information