Fuel tank size

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By AndreasPassat
  • 2 Post By VAGguy
  • 2 Post By VAGguy
  • 1 Post By AndreasPassat

Thread: Fuel tank size

Neutral

Fuel tank size

So out of pure curiosity, I decided to see how low I could get my fuel tank today. I ran it until the fuel gauge red near zero and also my mileage left panel got to zero, and I still drove it another 10 miles. When I fueled up it went to 13.8 gallons. I have read everywhere that it should be 16.4. So did I really have another 2.6 gallons of fuel or am I missing something here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    So by running on an almost empty tank you pulled up all the water and dirt at the bottom of the tank into your fuel injector and the entire fuel system?

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Emry View Post
    So by running on an almost empty tank you pulled up all the water and dirt at the bottom of the tank into your fuel injector and the entire fuel system?
    I do this on a regular basis. Keeps the bottom of the tank clean.
    cchief22, khnitz and PassatPatch like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by tipd14 View Post
    So out of pure curiosity, I decided to see how low I could get my fuel tank today. I ran it until the fuel gauge red near zero and also my mileage left panel got to zero, and I still drove it another 10 miles. When I fueled up it went to 13.8 gallons. I have read everywhere that it should be 16.4. So did I really have another 2.6 gallons of fuel or am I missing something here?

According to the owners manual the fuel tank is 16.3 total gallons. The reserve amount is 1.9 gallons. So the tank size is 14.4 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasPassat View Post
    I do this on a regular basis. Keeps the bottom of the tank clean.
    I actually do run mine to "0" miles a lot. 174,000 miles and not a single hiccup. That's what fuel filters are for, right?
    AndreasPassat and khnitz like this.
    Glutton for Punishment: 16 A4 S-line Sport pkg Prem+, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 2017 Q5 Prem+

Quote Originally Posted by Emry View Post
    I'd argue that the water, unless concentrations are high, will not be a problem. The dirt will get trapped in the fuel filter.
    AndreasPassat and khnitz like this.
    Glutton for Punishment: 16 A4 S-line Sport pkg Prem+, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 2017 Q5 Prem+

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    I actually do run mine to "0" miles a lot. 174,000 miles and not a single hiccup. That's what fuel filters are for, right?
    Exactly.
    I'm also serious, I run my tank down 'till the fuel gage says 'push' on regular basis.
    Same here, never a hiccup.
    khnitz likes this.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasPassat View Post
    According to the owners manual the fuel tank is 16.3 total gallons. The reserve amount is 1.9 gallons. So the tank size is 14.4 gallons.
    I've definitely put in 14.430 and 14.475 in before, and that is not with topping off the tank, just setting the little handle thingie down (since we still have those in VT) and it clicks off on its own.

Granted those weer also the two largest amounts i've ever put into the tank.

2nd Gear
    I don't like to get my fuel level too low since I'm worried about the fuel pump burning out. I am probably just paranoid since it happened once to my daughter while she was driving her school team to an out of town tournament. That was a expensive PITA but at least it happened at a gas station so they were back on the road relatively quickly.

Neutral
    I checked my log book - I often fill more than 15 gallons, occasionally over 15.5, and noted one fill at 16.15 gallons (I don't recall why I ran it that low, but it is in the log. The computer showing "0" miles to go is conservative, and also depends on driving habits - for example, I've seen the miles to go increase as I drove further, apparently because I was getting more MPG
    Steve 2002 Passat AWD GLX

Neutral
    Strange, my w8 normally fill around 18.3gal from when the warning is given. I try not to go full zero, but it happens at times.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Airkewld38 View Post
    Strange, my w8 normally fill around 18.3gal from when the warning is given. I try not to go full zero, but it happens at times.
    The W8 tank arrangement is quite different. IIRC, it actually has two tanks.

PZ
    Redline
    The W8 has 3 tanks, the 4Mo has 2 vs 1 for the FWD. I've gotten up to 15gl in the FWD only once and it was very low. The 4Mo would often take 15.5 without pushing it. I never had a "miles to go" indicator, so I did not really test the limits. I seem to remember the 4Mo tank was larger than the FWD, even though it is often listed as the same.

I did put 15gl in the Tiguan, it was at 496 miles and it showed 10 miles to go. Capacity is 15.9gl, so it was on the low side.

16. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information