Losing oil from the back of engine

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By RAH
  • 2 Post By Emry
  • 2 Post By AndreasPassat

Thread: Losing oil from the back of engine

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson

Losing oil from the back of engine

I went to check the CTS for the coolant loss and noticed oil on the back of Kombi valve. Not sure where this oil coming from. Here are some pictures. Any hint or help is welcome. Thanks.

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Cam seals or valve cover gaskets or CCT gasket are the biggest likely culprit.
    Any way to get a clearer picture and one of the backside of the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasPassat View Post
    Cam seals or valve cover gaskets or CCT gasket are the biggest likely culprit.
    Any way to get a clearer picture and one of the backside of the engine?
    Checked the valve cover gasket and it was dry around it. But as you said it may be either Cam seal or CCT gasket. Not sure how hard it is to replace them. I'll try to take a picture from the back of engine but it is a tight area.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Also I saw the oil coming out is kindda fresh. This cannot be the engine oil because my engine oil is old and very dark. So could it be that power steering line is leaking?

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Emry View Post
    Also I saw the oil coming out is kindda fresh. This cannot be the engine oil because my engine oil is old and very dark. So could it be that power steering line is leaking?
    That is entirely possible. I'd keep on eye on that power steering fluid level. Our cars don't like low levels of power steering fluid. The pumps burn up pretty easy when low on oil.

I'm making that comparison to say an old Chevy or Ford where you could almost run those empty for weeks on end, dump some fluid in and all is good.
    On our cars, as soon as you hear the power steering pump whining or groaning, get some fluid in it!

RAH
    the spot where you are losing fluid could also be your steering rack. They have tendency to go bad as well. They are in the fire wall so you can look at the rubber seals on the rack to see if you are losing any in there, or at the steering pump.
    AndreasPassat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    the spot where you are losing fluid could also be your steering rack. They have tendency to go bad as well. They are in the fire wall so you can look at the rubber seals on the rack to see if you are losing any in there, or at the steering pump.
    I thought the steering pump is in the front of the car, isn't it? But I should certainly look at the steering rack as you suggest.

Crawled under the car today and discovered that the leaking oil is indeed from the tranny pan. Turns out that I had not tightened a couple of bolts a few weeks back when I changed the ATF and the oil was coming out of those bolts. Tightened them and oil leak is gone for now. Thanks for suggestions and support though.
    VAGguy and John_E like this.

4th Gear
    Nice, an easy fix and a happy ending. A phrase uncommon with owning a Passat.
    VAGguy and Emry like this.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasPassat View Post
    ... I'd keep on eye on that power steering fluid level. Our cars don't like low levels of power steering fluid. The pumps burn up pretty easy when low on oil. ...
    Don't ask me how I know that, or why the 1996 A4 is on its second power steering pump.

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information