What are the possible causes of loss of coolant? - Page 2

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What are the possible causes of loss of coolant?

3rd Gear
    maybe a better approach would be to look from on top down at the turbo ,I know you can see the return line as it passes across the front of the engine across top timing belt cover. What I had earlier pictured is the turbo supply line which goes from the arrow(your arrow) on pic (block) to turbo ..... it's there

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    Quote Originally Posted by axenstar View Post
    Are you sure the car hasn’t overheated? The bmw I was talking about earlier that overheated was leaking from the same spot.
    Or it maybe the coolant flange behind the engine/cct.
    No overheating at all. Had changed the flange a couple fo years ago. Checked it and no leak from the flange.

Quote Originally Posted by cchief22 View Post
    maybe a better approach would be to look from on top down at the turbo ,I know you can see the return line as it passes across the front of the engine across top timing belt cover. What I had earlier pictured is the turbo supply line which goes from the arrow(your arrow) on pic (block) to turbo ..... it's there
    As ridiculous as it may sound, I cannot locate the turbo itself

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    I would rent a coolant pressure tester from your local auto parts store. Very easy to use. Top the coolant off and get the tester on it. Get a bright light and a mechanics mirror to see around corners and under things.

With the system topped off, system pressurized and a quiet atmosphere you should be able to either hear or see where it's loosing the coolant.

When I was leaking coolant in my V6 I knew the plastic HC pipe had a pinhole leak but after a few weeks I was starting to notice the smell more and more. Wasn't seeing any leaks on the ground. A week or 2 later I saw steam come from under the hood. Still couldn't find where it was coming from.

One day I was heading home and literally as I pulled into my garage. Boom!!! Steam pouring out. Coolant dumping on the ground. I let it cool off and topped off with water and it was pouring out as fast as I could put it in....I still could not tell where it was coming from......

The only way I found it or could have was with the tools I mentioned above. It turned out to be a rubber pipe under the throttle body...Completely hidden and before the hose burst the coolant was dripping on the trans housing so it was evaporating thus the no drips under the car.
    Last edited by jjpark; 06-05-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Added too it
    axenstar and Emry like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jjpark View Post
    I would rent a coolant pressure tester from your local auto parts store. Very easy to use. Top the coolant off and get the tester on it. Get a bright light and a mechanics mirror to see around corners and under things.
    Great suggestion! Never crossed my mind. Although it came just a bit late as I took it to a shop and they did the pressure test on it. But I know what to do next time around
    jjpark likes this.

Took the car to a shop to change the CV boot and they also did the pressure test. It turns out that the flange is leaking. I had replaced it a few years ago but apparently the o-ring around it is going to give up. I've done this repair once before but am not looking forward to do it again. It is one of those shitty jobs on this car. Is there any other solution to stop this leak?

2nd Gear
    There is a metal version of the coolant flange but if it's just the o-ring that probably won't help much. And yeah, it's a non-fun job on these cars....

Quote Originally Posted by Iowegian View Post
    There is a metal version of the coolant flange but if it's just the o-ring that probably won't help much. And yeah, it's a non-fun job on these cars....
    Just ordered an aluminum version. I'm really sick of spending so much on this car plus stress and pain on hands and back.

Quote Originally Posted by Emry View Post
    Just ordered an aluminum version. I'm really sick of spending so much on this car plus stress and pain on hands and back.
    Passats teach you to be patient and how to deal with hardships in life. When you pass the test, you reach Nirvana.

And Nirvana is somewhere on interstate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I recall he committed suicide back in early 90s. Where he is now I can't tell for sure

Your theory about the F$#@ flange was correct. I guess have to go through the ordeal again. Often I think by myself why am I putting up with this thing and shake my head in awe.
    axenstar likes this.

1st Gear
    Hi I have a 2003 1.8T AWM. I feel your pain. I had a lot of problems with the o-ring for the heater hose. You may want to check out the pics in my post in the thread Coolant Flange Lower Hose O-ring, the DIY and Youtube links referenced in that same post, and the pics in later posts all in that thread.

I have a mystery coolant leak as well, and oh boy do I hope it's not in the flange area again. I did the flange + o-rings replacement 3 years ago. You'd think it would last longer than that...
    Emry likes this.

2nd Gear
    Passats teach you to be patient and how to deal with hardships in life. When you pass the test, you reach Nirvana.

No, Nirvana is that empty stretch of Autobahn somewhere north of Passau.
    axenstar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by passat03wagon View Post
    Hi I have a 2003 1.8T AWM. I feel your pain. I had a lot of problems with the o-ring for the heater hose. You may want to check out the pics in my post in the thread Coolant Flange Lower Hose O-ring, the DIY and Youtube links referenced in that same post, and the pics in later posts all in that thread.I have a mystery coolant leak as well, and oh boy do I hope it's not in the flange area again. I did the flange + o-rings replacement 3 years ago. You'd think it would last longer than that...
    Thanks for sharing the links. I used a mirror and I'm almost sure it's leaking from the flange itself. I had changed it 4 years ago and I'm afraid need to change it again. It's really a shitty job but have no other choice. Shops charge a lot of money for this job. The positive side of the story is that since I have done it once I know more or less how to do it so in theory it should go a bit quicker this time. I will also replace all the O-rings and CTS. If all these last for a few more years that would be enough. The car is 18 years old and I don't expect it to go beyond 20 years w/o lot more problems.
    The sad part is that insurance in Michigan is very expensive. I pay $1000/year for basic liability. Thus the amount of insurance for one year exceeds the market price for this car. I know for a fact it doesn't make any sense to keep this car and suffer from its failures but I can't figure why I keep fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirnbeiss View Post
    somewhere north of Passau.
    Can you show it on this map?

Capture.jpg

2nd Gear
    Can you show it on this map?

Capture.jpg
    Follow the yellow color road, the A3, not to Oz but towards Nürnberg.

3rd Gear
    Is there any other solution to stop this leak?
    The only thing I got is to get one from the dealer and not a cheap aftermarket. I see you ordered the metal one so hopefully that will work well. Make sure the area that the Oring sits is absolutely free of rust corrosion burs and debris. I think the plastic ones tend to warp more due to the heat cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by jjpark View Post
    The only thing I got is to get one from the dealer and not a cheap aftermarket. I see you ordered the metal one so hopefully that will work well. Make sure the area that the Oring sits is absolutely free of rust corrosion burs and debris. I think the plastic ones tend to warp more due to the heat cycles.
    This is price you pay for using after maket parts for critical components like this. Yes got an aluminum one now. But I really dread over starting changing it. It's true PITA.
    But I guess ther's no other choice. Will start on it next weekend.

OK finally I gathered all mental strength to tackle this sucker. Got an Aluminium flange for $11 .

DSC_0039.jpg

Then, I thought that now I'm going to remove all these pipes and bolts why not changing the CTS as well. I had changed the CTS back in 2014 and did not want to take any chances so I got one for $10 from the Autozone.

Day 1: Removed all the bolts and pipes and took out the F$#@ flange out. It was indeed in a bad shape. The area around the O-ring was totally worn out. It went relatively quick. I took everything out in 1.5 hour.

DSC_0041.jpg DSC_0040.jpg

Day 2: started by installing the new aluminium flange but this time used high temp copper gasket maker around it. My mechanic told me to use it in order to make sure that that no leak ever is caused from the O-ring. I highly recommend that you get one tube and use it when necessary. Got it from the eBay for $5.

DSC_0042.jpg

Tomorrow: will fill the coolant reservoir with coolant and test drive it. Will watch for any potential leak but am hopeful that won't happen. Left it for the night so all the gaskets are dried out well.

Replacing the coolant flange on a AWM is a PITA but still not as bad as replacing the PCV valves and tubes. This car had worn me out mentally and financially.

Next: got to prepare myself to change the serpentine and A/C belts. But first will treat myself with a week of vacation in Cancun to gain my stamina back. After all, I deserve it for such an accomplishment

21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information