'02 4Mo GLX Wagon, Front ABS/WSS "depth"

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By cuppie
  • 1 Post By AndreasPassat

Thread: '02 4Mo GLX Wagon, Front ABS/WSS "depth"

Neutral

'02 4Mo GLX Wagon, Front ABS/WSS "depth"

Can anyone tell me how far away from the ring the sensor is supposed to sit? or how much space there should be (exposed silver part)?

I had swapped the ABS/WSS and now I have the ABS kick on at the very end of braking......which from what anyone has told me has to do with the sensor being too far in or too far out....

Thanks all

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

It's too far out.
    Generally accepted 'best practice' around here is to push the sensor in until it stops, then back it off *just* a smidge.
    Too far in (read: contacting the tone ring, on the CV joint) will grind the end of the sensor off.
    Too far out nets you a dropped signal, especially at very low speeds (like, almost-stopped.)

Also, make sure that the tone ring is reasonably clean; blow off w/ compressed air as necessary.
    cchief22 and khnitz like this.

5th Gear
    I've never done anything other than push the sensor into the retainer until it stops, and leave it there. By design it should not touch the ring, however just a little deformation of that tone ring could lead to interference.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ylwagon View Post
    I've never done anything other than push the sensor into the retainer until it stops, and leave it there. By design it should not touch the ring, however just a little deformation of that tone ring could lead to interference.
    You are correct, but some people don't live in the nice rust free environment and just pushing the sensor in is more of a task. On one of my cars the wheel speed sensors were so tight I thought it was threaded in.
    When it's all rusty and corroded it's hard to tell when to stop.
    Last edited by AndreasPassat; 05-24-2019 at 06:51 AM.
    ylwagon likes this.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasPassat View Post
    You are correct, but some people don't live in the nice rust free environment and just pushing the sensor in is more of a task. On one of my cars the wheel speed sensors were so tight I thought is was threaded in.
    When it's all rusty and corroded it's hard to tell when to stop.
    Car lived a lot of its life in CO and then in VT for the last few years. Then it sat...outside...in VT...from September 2018 until almost March 2019.
    Getting the sensors out to clean them and the tone rings was almost a 4 hour task.
    Tone rings are clean. Must just be that they are not far enough in.
    Next chance I get I will get at it with a plastic dead blow hammer and nudge it in, take a drive, if same issue, repeat until its good.
    I will make a mark or two with a sharpie so i can confirm that it is moving.
    Also will use my ramps so it doesn't become an all day project.

I would suggest skipping the hammer..... You're likely to break the sensor.
    Take the sensor back out. Clean the hole out - Dremel, with a sanding drum, works well. Be sure to blow out (compressed air) the debris.
    The sensor should just push in, without much effort.

Neutral
    https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T.../dp/B01GGV1URI

12 oz dead blow, without taking the wheel off, is not going to break anything.

if I can find the time to grind/sand the "socket" I will, but that's gonna be tough.

5th Gear
    It may sound crazy, but I'd heat some vinegar to boiling, and slowly pour it onto that sensor retainer. The rust may dissolve enough to pull the retainer out entirely, then soak the thing in the vinegar to remove the remaining rust. Finish with a light coat of anti-rust paint.

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information