What powers door's courtesy light?

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By scotts13
  • 1 Post By jjpark
  • 1 Post By FrescoGreen01.5

Thread: What powers door's courtesy light?

Neutral

What powers door's courtesy light?

Hello guys! So I noticed on my driver door that the courtesy light was out so I bought a new one to replace it.
    When installing the new one, it was EXTREMELY dim and making an electrical humming noise.
    It's like it not really getting the 12v it needs??? I tried the new light on all other doors and it worked perfectly fine.

What is giving the power to that courtesy light?
    I think some module or something is possibly bad and not giving proper voltage to it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    I would start by checking for corrosion and loose connections. Also make sure you have a bulb with the correct voltage requirement and no higher wattage rating than the original, so that it is not trying to suck too much current. Try swapping another door's bulb into your driver's door. From what you told me, I anticipate that it will also have problems, which points to my first suggestions regarding corrosion and bad solder joints or connections, all very common VW problems.

3rd Gear
    I assume you are talking about the lights under the actual door, unfortunately they are in the "flood zone" and agree with J_E .....corrosion most likely

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Overdrive
    "It appears to run on some form of electricity..." In this case controlled through the CCM. Not uncommon to short out the light while playing with it, blowing fuse 14 and shutting down a lot of stuff.
    AndreasPassat and cchief22 like this.

3rd Gear
    Check the wiring for breaks or cracks that runs out the door into the door jamb (at the hinges) This is a known spot for them to break.
    cchief22 likes this.

3rd Gear
    The puddle light, or "entry light," as Bentley calls it, has a somewhat unique power arrangement.

The negative side is connected to ground (brown) in the door via the "door open" switch in the door latch assembly. The same switch tells the CCM, cluster, etc., that the driver door is open.

The positive side is powered from the same source that powers the front & rear reading lights, map lights, and makeup mirror lights. It's +12V switched by the CCM (battery saver function). This wire passes through the hinge for each door and isn't used for anything else in the door. It's red/black; the driver door connector (beside the driver's left foot, behind plastic panel) is 10-position black.

If your "door open" indication works correctly (dome lights come on, fuel pump primes, etc.), then I'd start with that red/black wire.

Ref: Bentley schematic 82/2 and 82/13...15
    Iowegian likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information