car "shudders" when idling at stop light

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ar393
  • 1 Post By Emry
  • 1 Post By Emry
  • 1 Post By RCinSTP
  • 1 Post By RCinSTP
  • 1 Post By John_E

Thread: car "shudders" when idling at stop light

1st Gear

car "shudders" when idling at stop light

2002 V6 ATQ, GLX 4-Motion, auto trans (tiptronic)

I replaced the MAF sensor and the Engine Speed Sensor/Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) because, while driving, the car would suddenly act as if the ignition was switched off and then quickly back on.

That is no longer happening, but now, when idling, the car will shudder now and then. It does not shudder every time the car is idling. In a 20 minute drive it might happen 5 or 6 times. I don't know if this is related but the car sat outside in a heavy rain the other day and the floor mats on the drivers side were wet --but-- I checked the drainage tube from the sun roof and it is clear and the end is cut open in the drivers door opening area. The floor mats may have gotten wet from getting in and out of the car when it was wet outside. I lifted the floor mat and the electronics and everything under the drivers side carpet seems fine and totally dry.

I have the codes below. I deleted the sections that had No Fault Code found. Any ideas of things to check? Things to test? Could I have gotten a bad CPS? Or maybe I installed the CPS wrong? I re-used the shim that was on the CPS that I took out, maybe the shim needs to be removed? Or a different thickness? Should I try to measure something to determine the shim thickness?

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
    Thursday, 16 May 2019, 10:08:04:63159

Chassis Type: 3B - VW Passat B5
    Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,19,35,36,37,46,47,55,56,57,58 ,75,76,77

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 1C0-959-799.LBL
    Controller: 1C0 959 799 C
    Component: 09 Komfortgerát HLO 0001
    Coding: 00258
    Shop #: WSC 00028
    VCID: 37015E680655
    2 Faults Found:
    00913 - Window Regulator Switch; Front Right Driver (E81)
    27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
    01358 - Internal Central Locking Switch; Driver Side (E150)
    27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 56: Radio Labels: 3B7-035-1xx-56.LBL
    Controller: 3B7 035 180
    Component: Radio NP2 0005
    Coding: 04031
    Shop #: WSC 00028
    VCID: DDCD6CC04429
    4 Faults Found:
    00849 - S-contact at Ignition/Starter Switch (D)
    78-10 - Missing Messages - Intermittent
    01326 - Control Module for Multi-Function Steering Wheel (J453)
    49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
    01064 - Terminal 58d; Interior Dimming
    00625 - Vehicle Speed Signal

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Mine shudders once in a while when its been raining. mine is an occasional misfire on cylinder 2.

does your engine light flash if you gas it while its shuddering?
    RCinSTP likes this.

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    Based on the fault codes, there is definitely something wrong with the CPS as it sends intermittent. You need to check a few things here. First, the correct CPS should be used. Second, it must be sitting correctly in its place. Third, the grey harness should be tightly connected to it. If all these three conditions are met then you should not get the fault code.
    John_E likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    ar393: I forgot to mention, when it shudders, it only last for 1 second or so, not long enough to give it gas and the check engine light does not flash.

Emry: Thank you, I will check those three things right now, I'll check the part number that I bought and check how both ends are fitting. What about the shim? Do all CPS sensors require the shim on the old part to be reused? I have the old CPS so I could pull it out and compare the lengths of the old and new CPS.

Quote Originally Posted by RCinSTP View Post
    What about the shim? Do all CPS sensors require the shim on the old part to be reused? I have the old CPS so I could pull it out and compare the lengths of the old and new CPS.
    No I don't think so. The new one should have its own shim. At least the one I recently bought and installed had one. Anyway, just check those 3 factors and we go from there.
    RCinSTP likes this.

1st Gear
    The grey harness connection was LOOSE! I'm sure that was the cause of the problem. I'm going to drive the car for awhile and see if the problem is solved. I will reply back in a couple of days, or sooner, if the problem is not solved.
    cchief22 likes this.

1st Gear
    The loose harness connection did NOT fix the problem. I have the Bentley service manual and I will run through the VAG-COM diagnostic tests specified in the manual, but, I would like to find the specs for the proper depth/length of the Vehicle Speed Sensor, aka Crankshaft Position Sensor to make sure that I have the proper thickness shim. Does anyone know the spec for the sensor? Or, where I can find the specs. I don't see anything in the Bentley manual about replacing the sensor or anything about a shim. I can't find the specs online either.

1st Gear
    The vag-com showed an intermittent misfire but ~only~ in cylinder 2 so I swapped the spark plugs in cylinders 1 and 2 and that didn't fix it so I replaced the spark plug wire for cylinder 2 and the software went from lots of misfires to ZERO. I drove the car around a bit and it seems like the problem is fixed.
    I think there were several problems. I don't think it was just the plug wire, or the sensors. My guess is that it was the plug wire, plus either the MAF sensor, or the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) aka Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS).
    Thanks for the help.
    jjpark likes this.

I suppose you meant the coil wire by sparkplug wire. But yes the coil pack surely can cause misfires and shudder. Glad your problem is fixed.

1st Gear
    It was the wire going from the coil to the spark plug.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Emry View Post
    I suppose you meant the coil wire by sparkplug wire. But yes the coil pack surely can cause misfires and shudder. Glad your problem is fixed.
    ECS tuning shows conventional spark plug wires connecting the ignition coils to the spark plugs (as I have on my old 1996 AFC 12-valve), as opposed to coilpacks sitting atop each spark plug. My A4 rarely throws a check engine light, but the last time it did my trusty VCDS showed misfire on 1 and 6. Since it is 23 years old with more than 100K miles on the clock, I went ahead and replaced spark plugs, plug wires, 3-coil array (on which 1 and 6 share a common coil), and ignition module, and it now runs very well, with ample power and a smooth idle.
    cchief22 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by John_E View Post
    My A4 rarely throws a check engine light, but the last time it did my trusty VCDS showed misfire on 1 and 6. Since it is 23 years old with more than 100K miles on the clock, I went ahead and replaced spark plugs, plug wires, 3-coil array (on which 1 and 6 share a common coil), and ignition module, and it now runs very well, with ample power and a smooth idle.
    Yesterday I got misfire on 1. Ordered 4 coil packs waiting to arrive. These cars when get old they become a money pit.

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information