Anyone know what the official name is for that black trim at the base of the doors?

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By cchief22
  • 2 Post By PZ
  • 2 Post By ylwagon

Thread: Anyone know what the official name is for that black trim at the base of the doors?

3rd Gear

Anyone know what the official name is for that black trim at the base of the doors?

All of my black trim at the bottom of my doors (1999) is corroding from years in the sun / elements (same strip that has the jack access panel). Just lightly pulling on it causes pieces to disintegrate in my hands. I'm curious if anyone has a an official name (hard to search PW without a name), or part#, or can tell me if they are even a separate piece from the door. Nowhere near the top of my to-do list, but if I could find cheap replacements, it would make things look a little less, well, crappy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    believe it is called "skirting" ,go to Jim Ellis VW as they have a real comprehensive "parts search" engine..... I have actually bought stuff from them rather than "pull a part" in the dead of winter....fair priced, not promoting or saying to buy from them, but you will be able to see what it is attached to and retrieve a P/N from the seriously comprehensive parts/components dissection
    LineInTheWater likes this.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by cchief22 View Post
    believe it is called "skirting" ,go to Jim Ellis VW as they have a real comprehensive "parts search" engine..... I have actually bought stuff from them rather than "pull a part" in the dead of winter....fair priced, not promoting or saying to buy from them, but you will be able to see what it is attached to and retrieve a P/N from the seriously comprehensive parts/components dissection
    This looks like the appropriate diagram, and it appears the part group #'s are 22 and 23, but I'm not seeing those numbers listed below in the parts. Any ideas?

https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/show...rimLevel=18930

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    I was reading an Audi thread talking about a similar trim replacement. No "official" name mentioned, but the costs they were discussing (back in 2014) were significant (> $200) - and mentioned much of these parts aren't available anymore (at least OEM Audi). Someone suggested using lower car garage molding as a DIY, or vinyl stripping, with caulk or similar. I might consider that. Too bad I can't test it out, and make sure it doesn't look mickey mouse, without first destroying the current trim. Back burner for now, I guess.

PZ
    Redline
    Lower door moulding and they are not that expensive since the car looks so bad when they start to crumble:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...oor/Mouldings/

This is the part attached to the door that crumbles. I have not seen the side skirting (that attaches to the body) crumble, even after 18+ years in the Texas sun.
    LineInTheWater and cchief22 like this.

5th Gear
    ECS Tuning has four "lower molding" parts for your '99. I bought them in July '18 for the poor old YLwagon, they were about $37 - $40 each. These come with new plastic receptacles that plug into holes in the door panels, which the moldings then snap onto, with a quick bump from the palm of your hand.

Edit: PZ beat me to it while I was still typing!
    LineInTheWater and cchief22 like this.

3rd Gear
    Thanks guys! Yes, those are the exact parts (and now I have part#'s). Hmmm. $160. Somewhat tempting. ECS ever have any general coupons or sales?

And yes, PZ, it definitely does look like crap - of course, half my clearcoat is gone too (infamous Colorado Red clearcoat flaw), so there's that - uggg. Silver lining - no one wants to steal it! Aesthetically, it's easy to start throwing a few hundred here, a few hundred there, and then a major repair comes along that forces giving up the car. Crap shoot.

PZ
    Redline
    Mine are bad too as is the clear coat on the hood, the sagging gray door cloth and the ripped and mostly removed headliner (that orange foam roof is so cool). I also have the 6sp anti-theft device installed. I lost my key for a few days after shuffling cars in the driveway and I was not worried about it being stolen. Luckily I found the key in the garage hanging with the garden shed key.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    Mine are bad too as is the clear coat on the hood, the sagging gray door cloth and the ripped and mostly removed headliner (that orange foam roof is so cool). I also have the 6sp anti-theft device installed. I lost my key for a few days after shuffling cars in the driveway and I was not worried about it being stolen. Luckily I found the key in the garage hanging with the garden shed key.
    I have the sagging door cloth too, with the degrading brown glue starting to come through on the driver's side. I think there's a DIY re-upholster thread somewhere around here (for the doors), when it becomes absolutely intolerable. Fortunately, knocking on wood, I haven't had any headliner issues yet (I've already gone through that nightmare with the old Camry). My hood is one big blistering nightmare - it was "repainted" once, but they only really lightly sanded the paint to keep costs down (all the previous clearcoat came off, or was taken off by me) and applied new clear. Looked good for about 3 years, then went south again, fast.

Ray
    2nd Gear
    i picked up used ones at a pick and pull in fairly good shape for $5 a piece...

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    i picked up used ones at a pick and pull in fairly good shape for $5 a piece...
    Now that's a deal!

Believe it or not, I've never visited one of those pick and pull places. It would be an interesting field trip. I'd probably be grabbing all the random bolts, small plastic pieces, and other small parts that the dealer charges $5 ea or more. Of course, I'm guessing most of those would already be taken.

2nd Gear
    Another fun thing about getting parts like that at a junkyard are that they are pre-faded and will probably match the rest of the rubber trim better than brand new ones.

I might have a few lying around as I have swapped a few doors now due to side-swipes and door dings and I tend to keep all the 'extra' parts off the doors before sending the shell to the recycle bin. Shipping would probably be expensive though so I'd just look around at your local yards.

Ray
    2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by LineInTheWater View Post
    Now that's a deal!

Believe it or not, I've never visited one of those pick and pull places. It would be an interesting field trip. I'd probably be grabbing all the random bolts, small plastic pieces, and other small parts that the dealer charges $5 ea or more. Of course, I'm guessing most of those would already be taken.
    You can find some good stuff, my seats were torn and I paid $29 for the entire thing, better than $400 the upholstery shop wanted...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information