Brake Scraping Noise After Brake Fluid Flush

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AtomicKitty

Thread: Brake Scraping Noise After Brake Fluid Flush

Neutral

Brake Scraping Noise After Brake Fluid Flush

2003 1.8T 139K miles. I flushed the brakes last week as I'm pretty sure it's never been done before. Now I hear a scraping noise after braking (on both fronts). The noise goes away above 20 MPH. I figured the new fluid didn't allow the calipers/pads to fully retract. I decided to replace the rotors and pads with nice Bosch stuff. (I don't trust the previous owner's maintenance). Same scraping noise. Will this noise go away after the brake pads "break-in"?

I did the ol' pump and hold method for the flush. I was double checking the bleed job - and noticed I got some air (after I thought I had taken it all out). I added fluid to the reservoir and bled it again until no bubbles. Do I need to bleed it again after replacing the rotors and pads?

I did some searches in this forum history and I'm sure it's not the dust cover or loose caliper bolts.

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    If you're really sure there is no air in the system I don't believe another bleeding may be needed. When the pads are new in the beginning you get some noise but it subsides quickly.
    If the noise persists then problem lies somewhere else.

Neutral
    Mystery solved! It was the dust shield. The new rotors are wider than the old ones I took off. So bending the shield back (pushing with a long screwdriver through the wheel) fixed it. I'm not sure why the scraping sound was there before the new rotors though. (shrug)
    axenstar likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information