Misfiring on 6 after Timing Belt

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By PZ
  • 1 Post By AndreasPassat

Thread: Misfiring on 6 after Timing Belt

Neutral

Misfiring on 6 after Timing Belt

I got a 2001 VW Passat B5.5 2.8L v6 and i just did the timing belt and components. I decided I didnt want to make my life easier and remove the cam sprockets. so I had cam lock tool on and crank lock tool on for car’s TDC. Everything went off smooth, when putting new belt on, I started crank, then roller, then driver cam, then under water pump, then when i was trying to get it on passenger cam I was struggling bad... After attempting to put it on for an hour, I decided to take cam lock off, move just that one cam barley clockwise to get that belt on, after belt was on I immediately moved it back countclockwise then put back the cam lock tool and tensioned up the belt via the tensioner.
    Then to test it all, I remove cam and crank locks and rotated it by hand 2 times. Both times it looks good and both were looking like TDC. However when i started it up it was misfiring on 6 only. I tried to run it as long as I comfortably i could, (which was like 10-15s) to see if any other code would throw. Only misifirng on 6.
    What do you guys think?
    Im off a tooth but no cam/crank code?
    Just bad timing for a wire/spark plug to go bad?

Let me know, i’ve never been off timing before so im not sure what i’d throw or if it’d even start, etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Gotta ask, was their any misses or misfire codes before you started the timing belt job?
    Exactly what codes are showing up?

The easiest way to diagnose,

First swap out the #6 wire with another wire.
    If the miss moves to whatever cylinder you put #6 wire on, then you know its the wire.

If no change. Put your #6 wire back on cylinder #6 and put the swapped wire back where it came from.

Second, swap out the spark plug same as the plug wire.
    If the miss moves to whatever cylinder you put #6 plug in, then you know its the plug.

If no change. Put your #6 plug back in cylinder #6 and put the swapped plug back where that came from.

Third, swap out the fuel injector same as above.
    If the miss moves to whatever cylinder you put #6 injector in, then you know its the injector.

If no change. Put your #6 injector back in cylinder #6 and put the swapped injector back where that came from.

The ignition coil pack shares 2 cylinders per coil. The shared cylinders are as follows (with coil pack assembly installed on car)
    5-3 left side coil
    4-2 center coil
    1-6 right side coil

Cylinders are:
    right bank (passengers side) from front to rear
    1, 2, 3
    left bank (drivers side) from front to rear
    4, 5, 6

If after all of that and no change.
    I would check the cam followers on cylinder #6 to make sure they are not collapsed (won't open valve) or stuck (might hold valve open to fail on the compression stroke)

If the coil were bad you would experience misfires on cylinder #1 as well.

Will wait for response before I post up more.

Neutral
    Can i use another wire on 6? All wires are different sizes, ill try it though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PZ
    Redline
    If the cam and crank pic both go into place, the engine is not out of time. Are you certain it's out? If you had the battery disconnected, I would start with a throttle body adapt. It can easily cause misfires when starting. I just had that issue yesterday on my son's V6 after I pulled the electrical from the throttle body as I replaces the CTS and checked the heater hoses. Hard misfire on starting, did not go away after 30 seconds. Did a TBA before scanning and it ran great.
    AndreasPassat and jjpark like this.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    If the cam and crank pic both go into place, the engine is not out of time. Are you certain it's out? If you had the battery disconnected, I would start with a throttle body adapt. It can easily cause misfires when starting. I just had that issue yesterday on my son's V6 after I pulled the electrical from the throttle body as I replaces the CTS and checked the heater hoses. Hard misfire on starting, did not go away after 30 seconds. Did a TBA before scanning and it ran great.
    Good point.
    In the back of my head I know this can resolve a rough idle condition, but honestly, I didn't even think about it until Paul posted it.
    I guess that's why some people have way more green bars than me.
    axenstar likes this.

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information