Belts not turning

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Neutral

Belts not turning

1999 Passat 1.8T Manual. Daughter's car threw a serpentine belt and it pinched between pulleys. Now the engine turns over, but only the center bolt on the end of the crank turns. Opened top end of the timing belt cover and belt doesn't move when crank turns. If the crank timing gear key sheared, does that automatically point to a head job? Trying to determine if it is worth moving forward or pitch it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    It is very, very likely this resulted in at least two bent valves, but not guaranteed. It all depends on the position of all the exhaust valves at the moment that the cams stopped turning. If the valves were all very nearly closed, they'll be okay. If any were open, those will be bent. Maybe a 1 in 100 chance of none bent?

The bigger problem however, is the broken key on the crankshaft. It's not a separate key, like on a lawnmower or snowblower. It is an integral piece of the machined crankshaft. I think you'd have to replace the whole crankshaft to fix that.

5th Gear
    I believe that on the 1.8T, that key is integral with the gear, which is around $30 or so. The crank keyway might have damage though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PZ
    Redline
    It could be several things, but no matter what, I expect valves are bent. If it's oil pressure related, t could be a seized cam that caused the timing belt to sheer off the ribs. A broken CCT can also jam the cam.

Neutral
    After some further work, I found that the crankshaft timing gear key was sheared off. The crankshaft keyway was still intact and crank turns easily. Pictures below. Removed timing belt (Intact and no ribs damaged) and checked the camshaft movement. Looks like it stopped with the marks lined up as in TDC. How hard should it be to move? I put a wrench on the end of it (with the belt removed) and am unable to move it with significant force. Normal? Does this spell head problems as in PZ's post?

2nd Gear
    It sounds very much like a head job. At this point I would pull the head vs put back together only to confirm. You could try a borescope to see if you can confirm anything that way.

Neutral
    I'm at an impasse here as I have other projects that I really want to get to! I am thinking this car is getting sold for parts or just towed off! Too much else required to make this worth it. Car is not in top shape anyway. I will follow up with final disposition.

Neutral
    Well it depends on how much time and money you want to spend on this Passat and what it is worth in running condition in your location. Does your daughter really like her car?

If the pistons are not damaged too badly you can get away with either a good used head (U-Pull-It $100) or have that one machined $500?
    Parts needed.....crank pulley & bolt using Locktite, cylinder head & gaskets, head bolts & the long tool bits for the bolts, coolant, oil & filter, timing belt, serpentine belt.

Give yourself at at least two days since you have to pull the front of the car forward for the timing belt and also replace the cylinder head. Lowest cost on parts might be $300.

Selling it as it sits dead you might get around $500.00 for it and you would not need to address the other issues but you will need another car for your daughter.

good luck!

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information