Help needed with TDI wagon no start issue.

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Neutral

Help needed with TDI wagon no start issue.

Hello all. I recently picked up a 05 Passat wagon tdi. I got it not running. The previous owner said it started running rough and then one day just took forever to start. I got it home replaced the fuel filter. Then tested the in tank pump which it shoots a nice stream of fuel out of the under hood filter. I then replaced the tandem fuel pump on the engine. Yet it still won’t start or run. Now if I spray starter fluid in the intake (yes yes I know it’s not good to do) it runs for a second then stalls. I also tested voltage at the injectors with key on they see 2.5v. Do you guys have any ideas on what to do or try ? The timing belt was done about 30k ago( have receipts ). So that’s not the issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    TDI is a different animal but nevertheless have you scanned the car to see if you get any fault codes?

Also make sure the crank position sensor is not totally dead because otherwise the car won't start. But again scanning for codes is your first line of defense.

Neutral

Help needed with tdi wagon no start issue.

I don’t remember a cps code when scanned with vag com. But it did have a egr intermittent code. I cleaned the valve and put it back on. It had a lot of build up. I need to have my buddy scan it again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Just downloaded vag com software and about to scan it. I’ll report back my findings. Also when I try to crank the engine the tach doesn’t move. So perhaps it’s the crank sensor.
    Last edited by on1wheel01; 04-03-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Neutral
    Here is my findings.

As I had guessed seems CPS is dead. I changed mine a few days ago. Removing the oil filter made the task bit easier. Overall isn't a hard job but since it's not very accessible it may be a little irritating.
    But at least now you have found the cause and the cure is fast and easy.

Neutral
    Just ordered one from auto zone. Will be here today or tomorrow. Hopefully gets it going

Neutral
    Put new crank sensor in and it did a whole bunch of nothing. Still no start. Sigh I’m about tired of this car

Your next bet should now be the camshaft sensor. Not sure how you test and replace that in TDIs.

Neutral
    Camshaft sensor out of range is the only code I have left now. So I guess I’ll buy a sensor and see if that does the trick. If not perhaps I’ll set the car on fire 🏻

Nothing is more frustrating than a car that doesn't start. I can surely relate to that. Unfortunately Passats are very unnecessarily complicated animals. It's a bit tough to get to the problem causes the first time. So the best course of action seems to replace the camshaft sensor. I am optimistic that it resolves the problem. I never have changed a cam sensor but saw a couple videos online. Make sure you have the right procedure for the TDI before you begin changing it. Meanwhile keep scanning the car for any new fault codes that might pop up. We go from there.

PZ
    Redline
    Just because the timing belt was done 30K ago does not mean it's not the issue. I had one fail after 18 months due to a defective idler roller. I would at least check the crank gear keyway for failure and the crank/cam timing, especially with those codes.

Neutral
    Just ordered a new sensor Should be here in a few days. I’ll report back

3rd Gear
    downloaded programming guide/manual for VW software, will and try and post link..,.originally thought it was actual programming lines of logic as I am trying to figure
    out what sensors/devices "force" the CCT output, the crank sensor I know is an input but there are more. The reason for my searching is all of a sudden I had a 0011 code on start up ,then every so often an 0012, checked all the suspected areas, timing belt ,cam chain, connectors, crank pulley key ,all spot on. Would say its a CCT but on major R&R replaced it (10k ago), also new oil pump (pressure good), PCV system, etc.So far I believe the ECM looks at the crank sensor, map sensor, knock sensor,the cam sensor. I believe the cam sensor is only a monitor/check and does not drive the CCT to advance or retard. This week going to put in old CCT which was working fine (do not know its history),but rather than buy new one, double ,triple check TDC, timing belt,tensioner,cam sprockets, 16 links, etc. My previous post in this thread covers the rest,........as to the download ,very interesting especially as to ECM and TCM "learning" and "canned" programs when codes erased etc.

3rd Gear
    search this; Volkswagen/Audi Vehicle Communication Software Manual , has a lot of insight not covered in a lot of discussions

Neutral
    Well new cam sensor installed. Still no start. I’ve about had it with this car

Quote Originally Posted by on1wheel01 View Post
    Well new cam sensor installed. Still no start.
    This is a bit strange as the retrieved codes were pointing to the darn cam sensor.

I’ve about had it with this car
    Giving up at this stage doesn't make sense since you have spent money and time on it. So you only have one way and that's continue until you get it started.

Now if I spray starter fluid in the intake (yes yes I know it’s not good to do) it runs for a second then stalls.

OK, what is this telling us? When there is even slightest amount of fuel the car starts (or at least cranks). Next, we know that you have replaced the fuel filter. But have actually tested the fuel filter to see if it works. For this, use a jumper cable and apply 12 volts from the battery to the contacts of fuel filter and observe how it reacts. Then check all the fuses and relays that are responsible for fuel delivery system and make sure all are good.

Once done scan the codes and see what you get and report back. We go from there.

Neutral
    The cam belt has sometimes jumped teeth, and the timing gets way off.

I have had cambelt go out after only 100 miles... Faulty tensioner

The tandempump needs some time to deliver fuel to the injectors.

And make sure the vacuum hoses are all connected. A leak will cause all kinds of trouble. SO will also a faulty battery....

I hope you get the car fixed!

21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information