Before the cat

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Thread: Before the cat

Neutral

Before the cat

I popped my hood last night after a short drive and I noticed that the component in between the catalytic converter and the engine was glowing red. I am trying to look up information about this but I don't know what it is called. any help? If i can figure out how to add a picture I will do that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    1.8T engine? (Always give some basic information before asking for help). Might be the turbocharger's turbine housing- but it shouldn't glow red hot after a "short drive" unless that was wide-open throttle up a long hill.

Neutral
    Trying to post a picture

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    yes, the 1.8T. Sorry, crucial details. The short drive was probably 3 miles. a couple of hills but nothing too big. If I could get a picture to post, it has 2 bolts in it going from the top down.

3rd Gear
    it's the turbo all right...........third bolt in back you cannot see, check your coolant level, imo ,turbine is frozen

Neutral
    I can hear the turbine spin up when it is supposed to. Is there a down pipe on this model of Passat or does the turbo go straight to the catalytic converter?

On a side note, I changed my oil tonight and notice that there was oil in my intercooler hose.

5th Gear
    Some oil in the hose is to be expected. The PCV system discharges crankcase vapors into the duct before the turbo, so everything from there to the intake manifold, including the throttle, will get some oil residue.

PZ
    Redline
    The turbo goes straight to the cat, then the downpipe. You could have a clogged cat, your car could be running lean, it could be running hot or it could even be a misfire. Does the car have the CEL on?

Neutral
    Nope. no check engine light. I was looking at it last night and there is an air pump hose (Part# 058 133 785 3) that is cracked. I can't tell if it is leading to the turbo or the secondary air intake. Could this be causing an improper mix?

2nd Gear
    That elbow is on the line that runs from the secondary air injection pump to the combi-valve. It it's leaking you could have less air being injected into the exhaust which could throw the mixture off. If the leak is bad enough, exhaust can leak out of those hoses when the SAIP is supposed to be running. That will mean less exhaust will make it to the oxygen sensor which can also throw the mixture.

Neutral
    Well, that could be the source of the random exhaust smell that I get every now and then. It is cracked in 2 different spots. It could also explain why the sound of the SAIP went from an airplane to more of a whistle. I ordered the $7 part off Amazon and splurged for the $4 overnight shipping. stay tuned.

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information