Where exactly is the PCV valve located in a 2002 1.8T AWM? Specifically! - Page 2

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Where exactly is the PCV valve located in a 2002 1.8T AWM? Specifically!

It is pretty straight forward to replace that gasket. Plan an oil change around it. remove filter, undo the center nut holding the oil cooler on the filter tube, and shimmy it off. You may or may not need to undo the coolant lines. https://www.passatworld.com/forums/b...placement.html
    Glutton for Punishment: 16 A4 S-line Sport pkg Prem+, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 2017 Q5 Prem+

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    undo the center nut holding the oil cooler on the filter tube
    Yes I noticed it's not difficult. But this center nut is apparently very large (27 mm). I don't have such big socket. First I'll try to remove it with a needle-nose vise. If unsuccessful then I go to HF and but a large socket just for this!

Today I discovered that I've never changed the PCV valve in my car. That big 3-way plastic valve it is. May be that's the reason for lack of power. Is there any test to see if the valve is alive? I think I'm gonna order it anyway.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Emry View Post
    Yes I noticed it's not difficult. But this center nut is apparently very large (27 mm). I don't have such big socket. First I'll try to remove it with a needle-nose vise. If unsuccessful then I go to HF and but a large socket just for this!
    Definitely get the socket. The nut is very thin and you'll have a hard time getting it off without messing up something, and a harder time getting it tightened up correctly.

Today I discovered that I've never changed the PCV valve in my car. That big 3-way plastic valve it is. May be that's the reason for lack of power. Is there any test to see if the valve is alive? I think I'm gonna order it anyway.
    Which valve is that?

Quote Originally Posted by woodardhsd View Post
    Definitely get the socket. The nut is very thin and you'll have a hard time getting it off without messing up something, and a harder time getting it tightened up correctly.
    OK will get it. We spend so much on keeping these cars alive that one special tool here and there won't make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by woodardhsd View Post
    Which valve is that?
    I think they call it suction jet pump. It's a 3-way large and tall plastic valve. I found a complete PCV valve and hoses for $28 on Amazon and ordered it yesterday. I think I'm better off to replace most of these stuff once for all.

2nd Gear
    The suction jet pump isn't the PCV valve but I've used a 'kit' from Amazon that included a few check valves, the SJP, hoses and clamps, etc. The valves look good but I'm less certain about the quality of the hose. Still, it should last long enough and since there is such a mess of connections back there that it is a lot easier to just replace the lot than try to disconnect and replace the SJP by itself.

Be careful when installing it since there will be lots of brittle plastic bits holding hoses down and other connections that can break if stressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowegian View Post
    The suction jet pump isn't the PCV valve
    So the mystry still carries on as what exactly is the PCV valve

Be careful when installing it since there will be lots of brittle plastic bits holding hoses down and other connections that can break if stressed.
    With all those one-time clamps out there I think I am gonna have a hard time removing things easily. But as you suggested will be careful as much as needed. Worst case I'll use zip ties if those plastic bits break.

2nd Gear
    I would say the bleeder valve is the closest thing to a traditional PCV valve.

These are the PCV kit I bought from Amazon for a $28. I was under impression that the one shown with red arrow is the suction jet pump. But some refer to it as PCV valve. It's so darn confusing.

pcv.jpg

PZ
    Redline
    The little valve on the right of the clamps is the actual Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve. The pancake valve is also part of the PCV system and probably should be changed. Depending on the year, it's either near the back of the valve cover or on the turbo intake hose, to the right of the airbox.

The suction jet pump uses a venturi effect to increase vacuum to the power brakes. Here is a great writeup on it: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...d-how-it-works
    cchief22 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    The suction jet pump uses a venturi effect to increase vacuum to the power brakes.
    I'm almost sure SJP is shot because it's been for a long time that my brakes are soft and not as they should be.
    If replacing SJP doesn't correct the lack of power for brakes then I'm thinking to replace the master cylinder which by itself is yet another journey to hell.

The pancake valve is also part of the PCV system and probably should be changed.
    Went ahead and ordered that one too. Small cost but may make a difference. Shouldn't be hard to replace it.

2nd Gear
    I only replaced the SJP along with the hoses attached to it, basically the pile-o-parts on the left side in your picture.

If you are planning to replace everything in the picture I'd plan on taking off the air intake and get the gaskets for that as well before starting.

I'd plan on taking off the air intake and get the gaskets for that as well before starting.
    Are you referring to intake manifold or something else?

PZ
    Redline
    I deleted the SJP on my car when it started leaking, no difference in braking, but the idle was smoother once the vacuum leak was fixed. The engine looks better without the extra hoses.

2nd Gear
    Are you referring to intake manifold or something else?
    yeah, my bad, I meant the intake manifold.

2nd Gear
    I deleted the SJP on my car when it started leaking, no difference in braking, but the idle was smoother once the vacuum leak was fixed. The engine looks better without the extra hoses.

I might do that if/when I get around to installing the 034 PCV kit. Someday....

yeah, my bad, I meant the intake manifold.
    Is there a gasket for that? I tried to remove the manifold when I was cleaning the injectors but very quickly I gave up. Too many hoses are involved.

I deleted the SJP on my car when it started leaking, no difference in braking
    But there is a 3-way check valve connected to SJP that if it goes bad a brake boost failure fault code is generated. I had that and when I replaced that check valve only the fault code went away although my soft brake was not resolved.

PZ
    Redline
    That's on later models that have the electric vacuum pump next to the p/s reservoir. Several of the early 1.8T engines did not have a SJP.

I have been trying to replace the PCV valves and tubes today. I was able to remove everything except one of clamps attached to the T connector hose. Spent hours and finally got so tried that had to give up for today. Even removed the manifold but still was not able to remove that damn one-time clamp.
    The major issue that the overlap point is behind and I cannot turn it toward me to pry it off.

Anyone has any creative idea or tip as how I should proceed with this?
    Last edited by Emry; 04-21-2019 at 03:23 PM.

2nd Gear
    Maybe try a small pick with a right-angle at the end. Or try to turn the entire hose with the clamp still attached. Or just cut the clamp with a dremel tool and replace the hose as needed. Good luck!
    Emry likes this.

Maybe try a small pick with a right-angle at the end.
    Using pick, vise grip, screw driver, pliers did not work.

Or try to turn the entire hose with the clamp still attached.
    I tried that many times with no avail. The clamp was so tightly holding the tube that no matter how I tried I was not able to turn it to make the clamp lock accessible.

Or just cut the clamp with a dremel tool and replace the hose as needed.
    I was (and still working) in the open air with no power outlet. Also did not have my Dremel cutter with me but indeed that could have been an easy solution. Faced with this situation today I ordered a flex extension that ca be used with cordless drill.

Good luck!
    Thanks. So finally I was able to cut the SOB with a smaller end cutting pliers with lots of bruises and wounds on my hands. Had so much pian in my arms and legs that couldn't sleep last night.

So today I gott ago back and reassemble the whole thing. Putting back the manifold could become another challenge. Also lost the entire coolant.

3rd Gear
    a little late .... but if this is the type (eiteker) you are/were refering to , if you can get to this last clip pointed at with pencil ,you straighten with wire/side cutters and tge clamp will pop openIMG_20190422_165023.jpg
    Emry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cchief22 View Post
    a little late .... but if this is the type (eiteker) you are/were refering to , if you can get to this last clip pointed at with pencil ,you straighten with wire/side cutters and tge clamp will pop open
    WoW! I wish I had this yesterday where I spend nearly 6 hours alone to get this one clamp off. But there will always be a next time

OK, finally got everything together and started the engine and drove around. I clearly noticed an improvement in engine power. After 18 years all the hoses and valves were pretty much clogged up with thick gunk. It was a really tiring job for me with lots of bruises and wounds on my both hands and muscle cramps on my back and legs. But I'm happy that this nightmare is over. Lost two bolts for the lower manifold but I don't think it's very critical at this juncture. Will find them soo and put them back.

Tomorrow heading to replace the crank vent valve and diverter valve. So God Save Me
    axenstar and cchief22 like this.

PZ
    Redline
    Tomorrow you will not be able to bend at all. Excedrin helps with the soreness, Advil works better on the swelling.
    axenstar and Emry like this.

Tomorrow you will not be able to bend at all. Excedrin helps with the soreness, Advil works better on the swelling.
    Yes that is true. I took a couple of Advils already. But still need to do this and get rid of it. I looked at the crankcase vent valve today and it seems my original one is smaller than the one they have shipped me. So don't know what will happen. But plan to take it out and and see if I can fit this new one.

For the diverter valve, I'll ramp up the car and attempt to replace it from below the engine. There's no way to reach it from the top.
    While there, will have a closer look at the A/C belt and see how difficult it is to release it. I need that to change the serpentine belt. Life really sucks with a Passat.

Replaced the DV today and I noticed the power restoration in engine to a great extend. The car drives really well now.

While there, I inspected the A/C belt and was not able to figure out how to release and take it out. I didn't see any tensioner. Don't know how to proceed with this but unless I know how to remove/reinstall the A/C belt there's no way I can change the serpentine belt.

Replaced the DV today and I noticed the power restoration in engine to a great extend. The car drives really well now.

While there, I inspected the A/C belt and was not able to figure out how to release and take it out. I didn't see any tensioner. Don't know how to proceed with this but unless I know how to remove/reinstall the A/C belt there's no way I can change the serpentine belt.
    There is a manual tensioner on the idler pulley for that belt. #12 in this pic. It is loosened with a hex bolt at the pivot point and another on the end where the #12 is. It is always really tight to get on and off, but doable.
    AC 18T.jpg
    axenstar and Emry like this.
    Glutton for Punishment: 16 A4 S-line Sport pkg Prem+, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 2017 Q5 Prem+

33. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information