Oil in Spark Plug Wells - - Replace PCV System? - Page 2

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Oil in Spark Plug Wells - - Replace PCV System?

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    Make sure you remove the spark plugs beforehand so a compressed cylinder does not cause the crank to accidentally rotate one way or the other once you stop.
    I was not aware this one but surely do. It's a not a big effort after all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    There are no start/end markings on the belt. It's just a continuous belt that keeps the cams in sync with the crank. Theoretically, you could swap the belt in any position but that is like saying you could replace a wall receptacle with the power on. Lots of people do it but it is a whole lot safer to turn off the power in case something slips. Ditto for the TB. You could change it in any position but at TDC the valves will not contact anything if the cam rotates a bit.

Plus you need to make sure everything is properly aligned before turning the engine over and the only reliable way to do that is to have the crank at TDC. With the crank at TDC the cam marks show the relative timing. Otherwise, how do you know if things are lined up right? If nothing moved after the belt was removed it would be OK but if something shifted there is no way to know which way to move things to get back into alignment.

PZ
    Redline
    I also start on TDC, but don't remove the plugs. I've never had the crank move and I've done dozens of belts. I have seen the V6 passenger side cams move, but they can be moved back without issue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    I also start on TDC, but don't remove the plugs. I've never had the crank move and I've done dozens of belts. I have seen the V6 passenger side cams move, but they can be moved back without issue.
    The ones I have done never moved either, but I also stick a long 1/4" socket extension in #1 plug hole to watch it physically hit TDC while I am turning the crank. Also, removing the plugs makes it easier to turn the crank after the job is done to verify the marks continue to line up. No compression to fight.
    Glutton for Punishment: 16 A4 S-line Sport pkg Prem+, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 2017 Q5 Prem+

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowegian View Post
    Otherwise, how do you know if things are lined up right?
    I supposed TDC is the condition where both markings on crank and cam pulleys align. If that is the case, regardless of where the belt is taken off and put back it should work.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by bigeyejim View Post
    Fast forward a couple of months, a few other problems (mostly with our "good" van) and now that the weather is above freezing and nearing hot, time to get back in the saddle.

Like some, I broke the damn pipe coming out of the oil filter adapter, and luckily I found one at a private VW shop for $50. I have the VC, intake, oil apparatus, and other stuff off or loose. It will be an interesting experiment to see if when I turn the key, it actually starts! I actually broke the groove for the PCV pipe clip attempting to get the brass internal pipe to break loose.

So new question:::I just spent another hour looking for bolt specs for the various parts that have to go back on. I am mostly concerned about the Oil Filter adapter (I think that's what it's called) where it attaches to the engine block. I haven't found those specs.

So I have VCG = 10Nm/84"lb

Intake Manifold = 7.5 ' lb

Coilpak bolts = 10Nm

Oil Filter adapter = MYSTERY!!

CAn anyone verify those numbers please and if you know the Oil filter number, I would greatly appreciate that! I believe the P/N is 06A 115 417 (May or may not be Audi P/N)

I have hopefully uploaded a picture for your enjoyment! Thanks a bunch!
    Hey, after getting slightly hijacked - even though there was talk of a TB replacement. Can anyone confirm the torque specs above before I put on the oil cooler? I have tightened the Oil filter Adapter above to 7.5 Nm, and it seems too loose. Does anyone have that spec? I thought I saw it over at Audzine, but can't confirm the spec. Cheers, she's going to start tonight!!

Neutral
    Whoa....

Found this over at TDIClub....

Oil filter housing bolts (10mm/5mm allen) 11 + 1/4 turn

This is in ft-lb. , So 14.91 Nm And that is according to an A4 TDI of the same vintage.

I don't know. I DO know that I have spent many an hour today on this, and thus have moved to the airbox side of the engine for re-assembly!!
    axenstar likes this.

Neutral

Neutral
    Drumrollllllllllllll please........

Alright, I was excited as I got the thing back together. Only parts left over were a small washer and a plastic screw plug of some sort! Surprised myself.

Battery was shot, so I had to steal a tall battery to swap to see if it started. New parts: ECS PCV system "kit" for AWM, new plugs and coils from ECS, Valve cover gaskets, and the usual gaskets. dipstick, (and I "flushed" the motor with some excess new oil I had, and the 2 chunks of plastic that fell in the pan came out!). So after almost 3 full months of off and on work, I fired the car up, and it STARTED! LOL

It ran a fast idle while it warmed up a bit, and then it hit...The same damn misfire codes I had when I parked it. UGH....So......

Had the same issue on my Dodge Grand Caravan 4.0L (Routan), and I had a bad injector after replacing the plugs/coils/VCGaskets. Ran the same. So second time's a charm.

Should I replace the Injectors? Are rebuilt just as good? Will the dang thing still misfire after that? This was not the ending I wanted for this today.

Now I was able to get a little rev out of the car today. Engine sounds nice, and still has that powerful feeling it has always had. Oh, and i painted the intake manifold blue. Yep, I'm in my fifties, but my son is going to take the car over, so theres that. LOL OK, I like it too!

Cheers!

I didn't see it, but which misfire codes exactly? P0300, P0301, 2, etc? Any other codes?

I am ashamed of myself for not mentioning that you should replace any braided vacuum line with new silicone lines. They are known to leak after all these years.

Also, if you suspect the injectors, you could have them tested and cleaned for less than the cost of a single new one. https://www.witchhunter.com/
    bigeyejim likes this.
    Glutton for Punishment: 16 A4 S-line Sport pkg Prem+, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 2017 Q5 Prem+

3rd Gear
    have you replaced the coil packs ?, can't remember if you mentioned that...

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    I didn't see it, but which misfire codes exactly? P0300, P0301, 2, etc? Any other codes?

I am ashamed of myself for not mentioning that you should replace any braided vacuum line with new silicone lines. They are known to leak after all these years.

Also, if you suspect the injectors, you could have them tested and cleaned for less than the cost of a single new one. https://www.witchhunter.com/
    They codes were the P0301 and P0304 I believe before I accidentally cleared them. Which incidentally were the same codes before I started. I did end up with one rubber vacuum hose left over, but can't find for the life of me where it goes. I"ll research some more this evening.

Cheapest injectors I've found have been the GB Remans at just under $40 each. I'll check into that link you gave me! Thanks!

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by cchief22 View Post
    have you replaced the coil packs ?, can't remember if you mentioned that...
    I replaced the coil packs and plugs with a kit from ECS. Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter, nor the ability to run on to test the electrical connections. Last time I used one, I blew the meter up.
    cchief22 likes this.

2nd Gear
    P0301 and P0304 indicate mis-fires on individual cylinders (1 and 4). You could swap injectors 1 and 2 to see if the fault follows in the injector. I'd also get some fresh gas and maybe drive the car for a few hours before checking codes again.
    cchief22 and bigeyejim like this.

3rd Gear
    couple things ,remember to hook up ground wire to VC? and also how about the vacuum line that runs parallel to turbo coolant feed in front of timing belt cover?
    VAGguy likes this.

19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information