End of the road - Page 3

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: End of the road

5th Gear
    Well not end-of-the-road, quite yet. Over the weekend I pushed the wagon out into the sunlight for the first time since Thanksgiving, when AndreasPassat helped us out. At this point, I'm intending to have our mechanic, who has no hesitation about pulling engines or transmission on the company F150s, take this thing and fix what I haven't. My wife is happy to have her Q5 back into the garage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PZ
    Redline
    Could be worse about the garage. I've had an inop donor car in one side for 4 years. Needs to go this summer when I finally strip the rest of it down. Still left with 3 cars, so a decision will have to be made about my car after that. I'll see if I get used to the Tiguan on our trip, but we've only put 200 miles on it so far. My Passat and the Golf have probably been driven about 6 miles each in 2 weeks and that would continue.
    ylwagon likes this.

5th Gear
    Any update? That car is too practical and beautiful to scrap -- arguably the best size and configuration ever sold in the U.S., from any manufacturer. Total home-run product.
    cchief22 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    The wagon was supposed to be trailered away last weekend, but the guy was busy on some other project. I might just rent a trailer and tote it with the company pickup to our back lot, where it can be worked on. I agree about the Passat wagon still being such a desirable package. Not to disrespect the sedan guys (my A4 is a sedan after all) but if this wasn't a wagon, I probably wouldn't go to all this trouble.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ylwagon View Post
    The wagon was supposed to be trailered away last weekend, but the guy was busy on some other project. I might just rent a trailer and tote it with the company pickup to our back lot, where it can be worked on. I agree about the Passat wagon still being such a desirable package. Not to disrespect the sedan guys (my A4 is a sedan after all) but if this wasn't a wagon, I probably wouldn't go to all this trouble.

No, no, no, you got that all backwards.

Not to disrespect the wagon guys but if this wasn't a sedan, I probably wouldn't go to all this trouble.
    That's the way its supposed to be.

Seriously though, your car is in such great shape, it would be a shame to see it go to the heap pile.

Maybe we can schedule a weekend for wrenching??? You know I'm in for that.
    ylwagon likes this.

5th Gear
    I sure appreciate that. If/when it's running reliably enough for a long highway trip, my son might want it back in Phoenix. I'll bet he'd have you over for one of their BBQ parties at the house where he and two of his Air Force co-renters live, plus one 23 year-old civilian girl. But you'd have to OK with a typical bachelor setup; stacks of beer cases in the hallways, cartons of AR-15 and 9mm ammo all over the kitchen counters, pizza boxes, etc.
    AndreasPassat likes this.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasPassat View Post

Not to disrespect the wagon guys but if this wasn't a sedan, I probably wouldn't go to all this trouble.

Seriously though, your car is in such great shape, it would be a shame to see it go to the heap pile.

Maybe we can schedule a weekend for wrenching??? You know I'm in for that.
    Second that. Sedan is what sold me. But to each their own. ;-) Nice looking car ylwagon; I'm jealous of your clearcoat. Hope you get it back on the road.

I tend to agree, as I prefer sedans, but...
    Last edited by hu vw; 05-11-2019 at 11:35 PM.
    AndreasPassat and VAGguy like this.

4th Gear
    Noice!

5th Gear
    A new update: My wife had enough of the Passat being the 'hanger queen' in our garage while her car sat outside, as I've mentioned. So last weekend, I hired our company driver to do a Saturday pickup of the wagon, and take it to our company back lot. Here it waits it's next move, and hopefully diagnosis/correction of whatever is wrong. I think that we're down to either the engine, or transmission, being what's seized. The starter motor is disconnected from the bell housing, so by removing the three torque converter screws, we should easily decide which one it is.

4th Gear
    A new update: My wife had enough of the Passat being the 'hanger queen' in our garage while her car sat outside, as I've mentioned. So last weekend, I hired our company driver to do a Saturday pickup of the wagon, and take it to our company back lot. Here it waits it's next move, and hopefully diagnosis/correction of whatever is wrong. I think that we're down to either the engine, or transmission, being what's seized. The starter motor is disconnected from the bell housing, so by removing the three torque converter screws, we should easily decide which one it is.
    That car is practically brand new!
    ylwagon likes this.

3rd Gear
    you do not know how great you have it with no "rust factor" coming into play
    ylwagon, PZ and axenstar like this.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by cchief22 View Post
    you do not know how great you have it with no "rust factor" coming into play
    I understand each of those words, but the sentence makes no sense....what is this no rust you speak of?
    /Lives in VT
    //Grew up in the Northeast.
    cchief22, PZ and ylwagon like this.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ar393 View Post
    I understand each of those words, but the sentence makes no sense....what is this no rust you speak of?
    /Lives in VT
    //Grew up in the Northeast.
    The dry Southwest climate does tend to make rust unlikely. For instance, I read about stuck pinch-bolts, but mine practically take just a pinky-push to remove.
    AndreasPassat and dihedral like this.

Neutral
    The dry Southwest climate does tend to make rust unlikely. For instance, I read about stuck pinch-bolts, but mine practically take just a pinky-push to remove.
    Did the driver's side upper control arms about two weeks ago.

10663.jpg

three days of PB Blaster...10+ minutes of pounding it with a 4lb mini sledge..then propane 5 minutes hammer....butane....5 more minutes w/ hammer, 1 broken screwdriver, then 30 more minutes of mini sledge....also destroyed the shit out of a door hinge pin to get it all the way out....so @#$% you and your climate

This is...well was...an exhaust manifold on my truck
    DSC_0259.jpg
    ylwagon likes this.

5th Gear
    I don't see how the seizure could be in the transmission, which would require both the torque converter and the planetaries to lock up in Park. Given the recent engine work, my money is on something interfering with the crankshaft -- it will be interesting to find out what. Oil pump? Connecting rod? OTher thoughts?

That car is way too nice to scrap.

My "German spoken here" garage, with 1996 A4, 2001 Passat wagon, 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo from Vienna, Austria
    ylwagon likes this.

3rd Gear
    no rust on the bike either!

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by John_E View Post
    I don't see how the seizure could be in the transmission, which would require both the torque converter and the planetaries to lock up in Park. Given the recent engine work, my money is on something interfering with the crankshaft -- it will be interesting to find out what. Oil pump? Connecting rod? OTher thoughts?

That car is way too nice to scrap.

My "German spoken here" garage, with 1996 A4, 2001 Passat wagon, 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo from Vienna, Austria
    Probably not the tranny, but my assumption is that anytime the crankshaft turns, the ATF pump turns likewise, since it is directly coupled to the crank through the shell of the TC. If the pump broke, then maybe. I actually lean towards finding a broken piston, but who knows?

Nice German (and Austrian) garage! Mine has the 3.0 A4 Quattro, 3.2 Q5 Quattro, and coincidentally, an Austrian Styer 10-speed. That bike and my '83 Kawasaki KZ-550A4- which is on display at my company office, being the only vehicles that I personally bought new.

5th Gear
    ...Nice German (and Austrian) garage! Mine has the 3.0 A4 Quattro, 3.2 Q5 Quattro, and coincidentally, an Austrian Styer 10-speed. ...
    Yup, Steyr/Daimler/Puch, in Graz, Austria, was a much bigger manufacturer of bicycles than Otto Cap's little shop across the country in Vienna, and of course Steyr made plenty of firearms and automotive parts, as well.
    ylwagon likes this.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by cchief22 View Post
    no rust on the bike either!
    The bike is a bit of a cheat, since I had it professionally repainted.

The A4 is starting to develop rust along the right side of the rear window, under the chrome trim, but of course nothing anywhere near as bad as on older General Motors cars. (Been there ... done that with a 1973 Chevelle coupe with the vinyl top. I bought it cheaply after the 1979 gasoline "crisis," when V8-powered "lead sleds" were a dime a dozen, drove it for 8 years, then sold it and never missed it.) The A4's rust caught me completely by surprise, since "body cancer" is not something I commonly associate with these cars' galvanized bodies. The left rear quarter and roof area had been repainted when we bought it 13 years ago, and, as ylwagon knows, the car got a full MAACO paint job four years ago. I'll have to dig in to see whether it is rusting from the inside (drainage channels??) or from the outside.

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    The A4's rust caught me completely by surprise
    I'm still puzzled how cars could get rusted in CA.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Emry View Post
    I'm still puzzled how cars could get rusted in CA.
    If your close to the ocean, you'd be surprised. The salt air will do wonders to a car from the inside out.
    Back in 1986 when I lived in La Mirada I bought a 1982 Triumph TR7 from a guy in Malibu. He bought the car brand new.
    There was a hole the size of a tennis ball right through the firewall. That's what salt air does.
    jjpark likes this.

If your close to the ocean, you'd be surprised. The salt air will do wonders to a car from the inside out.
    Back in 1986 when I lived in La Mirada I bought a 1982 Triumph TR7 from a guy in Malibu. He bought the car brand new.
    There was a hole the size of a tennis ball right through the firewall. That's what salt air does.
    Yeah, but it was a TR7. Not exactly a great example of rust resistant.
    Glutton for Punishment: 16 A4 S-line Sport pkg Prem+, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 2017 Q5 Prem+

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
    True but it also depends how you treat the car. My car does not have a single rust spot nowhere after 18 years. Living in the salt belt Michigan for years now (before that several years in salt infested Toronto). During the winter time I wash the car regularly and don't let the salt stay on the car.
    axenstar and jjpark like this.

5th Gear
    I live about 1 km downwind of the Pacific Ocean, and corrosion is indeed a major challenge. I was very surprised by the rear window rust on the A4, given that the car has no other rust anywhere, even where I Dremeled the front flange of the fenders to convert to 2000-vintage one-piece wraparound headlights. I need to pull up the chrome trim to see what is going on in there. I suppose the galvanization could have been scratched when the rear window was installed.

5th Gear
    I was very surprised by the rear window rust on the A4, given that the car has no other rust anywhere, even where I Dremeled the front flange of the fenders to convert to 2000-vintage one-piece wraparound headlights.
    Ha! I remember doing that on my trusty '96. And dabbing some touch-up paint on the exposed metal.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Emry View Post
    True but it also depends how you treat the car. My car does not have a single rust spot nowhere after 18 years. Living in the salt belt Michigan for years now (before that several years in salt infested Toronto). During the winter time I wash the car regularly and don't let the salt stay on the car.
    closest car wash to me is about 23 miles away....
    I had to do some plumbing work at my house a little bit ago so I added a hot water line to my exterior hose bib so I am going to see what luck I have come next winter with being able to hose off my truck a lot more often in winter.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ar393 View Post
    closest car wash to me is about 23 miles away....
    I had to do some plumbing work at my house a little bit ago so I added a hot water line to my exterior hose bib so I am going to see what luck I have come next winter with being able to hose off my truck a lot more often in winter.

When I lived in WI I got so sick of the chemicals they pour onto the road I went and bought a kerosene fired pressure washer just so I could spray down the car on a regular basis.

I'm using it here when I steamed the engine bay on my wife's 2003 GLX engine rebuild.

It's the blue unit on the left under the shelving.

jjpark, cchief22 and sequel95 like this.

31. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in