Persistant Orange/Amber Oil Warning Light Passat

  1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

    Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!
     
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    9

    Persistant Orange/Amber Oil Warning Light Passat

    Hello this is my first proper post
    Just looking for some help and advise
    I have a 2002 Volkswagen Passat 1.9tdi AVB 100 BHP 158,000 Miles
    I have owned the car a year and done close to 14,000 miles without one problem with the car,In this period the car is on to its 3rd full service.
    After I done my last full service at around 156,000 an orange oil light came on,Anyway I stopped the car and the dipstick was just above the middle,so I topped the car up and the orange oil light went off,however it returned again around 62 miles later.It does this now ever since even though the oil is perfect.Between 60/62 miles everytime.
    I believe from looking around that the bonnet microswitch could be the issue.i disconnected it today and im just wondering is it ok to drive without this connected and monitor the oil level manually each week? Is the bonnet sensor there for any other reason than to check if the bonnet is closed or open.Since I have owned the car the bonnet open light never came on anyway

    The car runs perfect otherwise,slighty rough on idle when warming up but smoothings out once up to tempreture
    Get around 600 to 720 miles from 62 litres

    Any help is appreciated,thanks in advance

  2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    56
    Posts
    16,486
    The microswitch in the bonnet latching mechanism is not connected to the oil warning light and will have no effect on the oil warning light.

    The dip stick measures how much oil (capacity) is in the engine, not how much oil pressure the engine is making. Are you seeing a warning light for low oil level or is it a warning for low oil pressure?

    If you are seeing a warning for low oil pressure, stop running the engine.

    What type and weight of oil was put in the engine at all the other services? What type and weight of oil was put in at this last service?

  4. #3
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    9
    Thanks for the reply steve.
    My car is the one without the computer display so it just shows an orange warning light,Turn the ignition and the light pings and stays on until the bonnet has been opened and closed
    Light returns again at the 60 mile mark and again opening and closing the bonnet turns the light of.
    Am I right in saying that for the low oil pressure its a red warning light? This lights works as when I turn the ignition over it comes on for a split second.I Have done over 2000 miles since the light has come on and the car has had no issues.

    On my last service I changed from 5w 30 Castrol edge to 5w 40 Castrol edge turbo diesel both 505.01.Car is not burning oil just losing a really small amount around the egr valve.

    I haven't drove the car on a long drive since I removed the bonnet sensor,Could it be the oil sump sensor that could be the issue? Maybe its faulty?

    Thanks

  5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,339
    Passat in USA doesn't have that dash, nor the yellow oil indicator. You should really look in the manual and see what that means, but from my experience with other cars (Audi, BMW etc) that shows OIL LEVEL is low. Not oil pressure, but oil level. On a lot of BMW the lights is ON when the sensor is bad. I believe this is your case, and the reason it resets itself when you open the hood is because the engineers wanted to make sure the owner will check the level manually (so you need to open the hood). But probably the sensor reads always "low" because it's toast.
    All this is common sense to me, not actual facts. The only reason I posted my assumptions: I don't think too many people on this forum (most of them in USA) will know about this special feature.

  7. #5
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    9
    Thanks gigi123
    I didn't realise that dash wasn't on passats in the usa.Everything you said seems to make sense,I taugt this myself but just wanted a 2nd opinion,didnt want to bring it to the garage and pay a fortune for parts
    My thinking is that the sensor is faulty and acting up,Because I never seen a bonnet light on even when the bonnet was open with the ignition on.When the oil got low and I topped it up the ecu never read me opening the bonnet because the switch was faulty,there is obviously a built in mechanism in the car to trip the computer after 60 miles to make sure the oil has been topped up.Im just thinking this is what it is,i will just buy a new sensor and check to see if this rectifys the problem,if it doesn't I will try the oil sump sensor and then the ccm to make sure there is no water ingress from the pollen filter

    Thanks for the help

  8. #6
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Comfortline02 View Post
    i will just buy a new sensor and check to see if this rectifys the problem,if it doesn't I will try the oil sump sensor and then .....
    Not sure which sensor you are going to replace first, if this were my car, I would start with the oil level sensor (again, we don't have that engine on Passat here, but I assume your car has a sensor on the bottom of the oil pan).
    Like this one

    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...vo8aAsqx8P8HAQ

  9. #7
    Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    56
    Posts
    16,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Comfortline02 View Post
    My car is the one without the computer display so it just shows an orange warning light. Turn the ignition and the light pings and stays on until the bonnet has been opened and closed. Light returns again at the 60 mile mark and again opening and closing the bonnet turns the light off.
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi123 View Post
    Passat in USA doesn't have that dash, nor the yellow oil indicator. You should really look in the manual and see what that means...
    Then I'm probably wrong when I said that light and the hood latch switch have nothing to do with each other. Definitely check the owners manual or look around on-line to see what that warning light is indicating. Post a picture of the dash light if you can.

  10. #8
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    9
    Im going to replace the bonnet microswitch first and run the car as normal and see if the low oil light comes on(orange light)
    If this doesn't remedy the problem im going to replace the oil sump sensor.
    Im going to source 2nd hand ones from a friend of mine who is breaking a Passat of the same year.
    Im sure its nothing serious just an annoying sensor either knackered or acting up.

    Will let you know how it goes

  11. #9
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    9
    I haven't got a manual. Never came with the car.
    I will take a picture of the dash tomorrow. Here is some good information I found on the net. Could be useful if anyone else gets this problem. Hopefully it's what is wrong with my car.

    Question : I have a 2002 Passat TDi 100BHP & the oil light illiminates all the time - it is currently yellow, I have checked the oil & the level is fine.........

    Can anyone let me know how to rectify the problem?

    Answer : If the level was fine the first time you may have a faulty oil sensor, if you did have to top it up the first time and the light will not reset, you have a faulty bonnet switch. Unless the instrument panel sees the bonnet has been opened, it will not reset. You can get around this by disconnecting the battery (do you have your radio code?) but it is better to fit a new switch which unfortunately is about £23.
    Last edited by Steve in Chicago; 12-13-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added quotes & punctuation

  12. #10
    6th Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bendigo, Australia
    Posts
    8,937
    You say the light resets when you open the bonnet and comes back on after 62 miles, this indicates the bonnet switch is working correctly.

  13. #11
    Overdrive
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lehigh County, Pa.
    Age
    64
    Posts
    12,055
    Maybe the light is an oil change recommendation? I know some european Passats have a monitoring system and extended OCI's because of it. As Tom says, if something happens when you open the hood, the switch is good. Guessing that opening the hood to "check" might turn off the indicator for a bit...?

  14. #12
    Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    56
    Posts
    16,486
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    Guessing that opening the hood to "check" might turn off the indicator for a bit...?
    62 miles is 100 kilometers, so it probably is a predetermined interval.

  15. #13
    6th Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bendigo, Australia
    Posts
    8,937
    My car dings and flashes a "SERVICE NOW" message when due for and oil change.

  16. #14
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    9
    I changed the bonnet microswitch today,Picked up a full bonnet lock mechanism for 10 euros
    Job took 15 mins,just watch out for a flimsy clip to the hold microswitch in place,easily broken.
    When I started car and opened bonnet again still no light to show its open.Although it does show a light for the boot lid opening.Cant find any obvious broken wiring to bonnet microswitch.
    Set the trip computer to 0 and gona give the car a good long drive the weekend to see if the light comes on again at 62 miles.The car was flashing a service light,I reset that myself.

    yes opening the hood reset the light and it goes back to the 62 mile cycle again
    Also disconnected the battery for an hour and this didn't work.

    im not sure if this car has ever had water ingressing in the passenger footwell.I might try clean the connectors with contact cleaner.
    Thanks for all the feedback

    Will let you know what the solution is if I ever find it haha

  17. #15
    Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    56
    Posts
    16,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomvw View Post
    You say the light resets when you open the bonnet and comes back on after 62 miles, this indicates the bonnet switch is working correctly.
    Your switch is telling something that you opened the hood. That's how the car knows to reset the warning then wait another 100k before lighting the warning again. The switch and the wiring to it is working.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comfortline02 View Post
    When I started car and opened bonnet again still no light to show its open. Although it does show a light for the boot lid opening. Cant find any obvious broken wiring to bonnet microswitch.
    My car has the boot lid alert in the gauge cluster but no hood alert. Unless you know your car is supposed to have a hood alert, my guess is it does not.

    Your problem is likely with whatever it is that warning is trying to tell you. Is it a low oil level warning? Low oil pressure? Find out, because THAT is what you need to fix to solve this problem.

    You said the car was flashing a service light and you reset it. Did you also perform the service?

  18. #16
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    9
    i guess it doesn't have a hood alert so because I have never seen it since I got the car.i just assumed surely it would have to if you were driving along with the latch popped open.

    When I did the last service I reset the service warning light and it has never gone on since,i assume my car is set to a service every 10.000 miles by whoever owned it before me.

    Will let you know the route of the problem when I find it,thanks for the help steve

  19. #17
    6th Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bendigo, Australia
    Posts
    8,937
    Why ask for help and then ignore all the help offered ?
    You should check the oil pressure and/or oil level sensor/s and their wiring.

    What do you find at the top of an Irish step ladder ?








































    A stop sign.

  20. #18
    Overdrive
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lehigh County, Pa.
    Age
    64
    Posts
    12,055
    Hey now, be nice - you never know. I told the techs at the dealership to check the check the hood-open switch last time a customer came in with an oil pressure warning. They appeared to take me seriously, and the tranquilizer darts barely hurt at all!

    But seriously, I think this poor guy (aside from not listening) is misreading the panel warning. Still waiting for that picture...

  21. #19
    Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    56
    Posts
    16,486
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    Still waiting for that picture...
    Yes. That bit of info might help sort this out.
    Last edited by Steve in Chicago; 12-18-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: spelling

  22. #20
    6th Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bendigo, Australia
    Posts
    8,937
    Disclaimer: I am about half Irish.

  23. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2