Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Squirrel! (how do you keep critters away from your ride?)

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  NEWMAN'SOWN 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone else have issues with little critters trying to nest in your car or chewing through stuff? I've removed a load of nut shells and other debris from beneath the hood several times, and had my fuel line burst apart yesterday, thanks to something having bitten several chunks out of the bit of rubber fuel line just forward of the fuel filter, instantly spraying fuel directly onto the hot exhaust. Luckily, the car didn't catch on fire, and it was a reasonably easy fix. Unfortunately, my wife and 2 day old son were in the car with me, as we were heading for his 1st doctor's check up.

We moved to a country setting back in Feb, and this is the first time I've had to deal with such nonsense! Do you have any tips to keep the critters from nesting in or chewing on bits of your car?

#2 ·
First off. CONGRATS!
I guess you don't have a garage? Maybe coat some of those bits with a non solvent based grease like lithium grease or something?

#4 ·
This thread popped into my mind reading the title: Red Ryder

There is a spray available for repelling rodents but I wouldn't recommend it as where ever it is applied will remain very sticky. Numerous people have had success with filling a sock with moth balls and cayenne pepper and placing it under the hood.

#5 ·
I keep them out of the birdseed with dried hot peppers.Throw a few hands-full under the hood? OTOH, we had a problem with groundhogs chewing radiator hoses in the computer store parking lot. We had an animal control guy come in and kill the all. (It wasn't cheap).

#8 ·
my isue with putting anything that has a smell, cedar, moth balls, peppers... will release smell. sitting at a light and all you can smell is franks red hot may smell appealing at first, but after a couple weeks youll be hosing down your engine. as far as pests, instead of using a repellent, use a deterrent. they dont seam to like WD-40, dog hair, and in heared if you put ex-lax in peanut butter and spread it on the wires, they wont make the mistake twice. having worked with classic cars i know this bane. also fluid film will keep the wires supple. but its sticky.

you want to feel better, google mercedes benz eco-wire. that stuff makes even lucas wiring look good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.