I want to Lift my Wagon 1"-2"

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I want to Lift my Wagon 1"-2"

1st Gear

Question I want to Lift my Wagon 1"-2"

I want to lift my Wagon, at least 1", but not more than 2".

Is there anyplace to add some spacers? Tower tops? anything? (cheaper the better)

I have always wanted to lift it for ground clearance in NJ, and get slightly larger tires for my steelies, but have been delaying because I wasn't sure how to lift it.

I know it's odd, and maybe a little silly, but will maybe look a little like an Allroad, maybe...

Thanks!
    Fukn Dubn likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    it seems odd. but if you do like you can fabricate some spacers to go into your tower bolts and change your bolts to a much longer one a good shop can do this for you. Have done this once in a mitsubishi lancer but only use it at the back.

What time is Matlock on?
    Not odd at all, in fact, about 3 years ago, there was a member on here that did it and it looked pretty darn cool. Search, as I *think* there is an OEM combination that would allow you to do it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PZ
    Redline
    The cheapest way? I would try adding a set of perch plates on top of the existing ones. That should raise the front quite a bit. I have a set in my garage that I can see how they mesh and get a rough guess on the extra height. You can also use V6 or W8 front springs to raise the front at least 1/2".

For the rear, you can add some spacer plates machined to fit the perches.

There might be someone willing to sell the rear perches from a coil-over kit. Many people pull them out to get the car even lower, but with OEM springs they can be used to raise the car.

The best way (and most expensive), would be to order the VW heavy load/rough road springs from Europe.

3rd Gear
    MMMM. Rally cross.

AJ

What time is Matlock on?
    I have my oem perches sitting in a box, iirc.

PZ
    Redline
    I just checked. A stacked perch should add about 1" to the height up front.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by GetSmurfed View Post
    I want to lift my Wagon, at least 1", but not more than 2".

Is there anyplace to add some spacers? Tower tops? anything? (cheaper the better)

I have always wanted to lift it for ground clearance in NJ, and get slightly larger tires for my steelies, but have been delaying because I wasn't sure how to lift it.

I know it's odd, and maybe a little silly, but will maybe look a little like an Allroad, maybe...

Thanks!
    Funny, I was thinking the same! I've a 4Motion wagon and thought that the extra clearance would be an advantage in the snow.

I saw that ECS has some coil over kits that are adjustable both down and up but only have the front for my wagon.

1st Gear
    PZ, for the front, do you mean add an oem lower perch on top of the perch that's already there? If so, would it be better to flip the bottom perch, then put another on top of it? For the rear, would the spacer plates or Coil perches go above or below the spring?

Suspension isn't something I'm too knowledgeable of.

Thanks!

Oil Dripper, I used to own a MK4 Jetta, and someone sold a 'Dune Buggy' Coilover kit, it was just too much $.

Neutral
    Something like this?

It would be nice if we could just swap in the adjustable Allroad struts... if a standalone height controller could be cobbled up, even just a multi-position rotary switch. I had a 2-position air suspension on my old Subaru Legacy wagon, it was great in deep snow.

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by Oil dripper View Post
    Funny, I was thinking the same! I've a 4Motion wagon and thought that the extra clearance would be an advantage in the snow.

I saw that ECS has some coil over kits that are adjustable both down and up but only have the front for my wagon.
    The 4MO can use coil over sleeves front and back. I have them on my car, but I used Konis.

PZ
    Redline
    PZ, for the front, do you mean add an oem lower perch on top of the perch that's already there? If so, would it be better to flip the bottom perch, then put another on top of it? For the rear, would the spacer plates or Coil perches go above or below the spring?

Suspension isn't something I'm too knowledgeable of.

Thanks!

Oil Dripper, I used to own a MK4 Jetta, and someone sold a 'Dune Buggy' Coilover kit, it was just too much $.
    I don't think the original perch would be as stable flipped upside down.

1st Gear

Exclamation WEITEC spring distance kit !

I want to lift my Wagon,
    At least 1", but not more than 2".

Is there anyplace to add some spacers ?
    Tower tops? anything?

I have always wanted to lift it for ground clearance in NJ,
    and get slightly larger tires for my steelies,
    but have been delaying because I wasn't sure how to lift it.

I know it's odd, and maybe a little silly,
    but will maybe look a little like an Allroad, maybe...
    It not odd at all !
    Over here in Europe there are lots of lifted Passat B5/B5.5
    It is an great idea !

Quote Originally Posted by swcrow17 View Post
    Not odd at all.
    I think there is an OEM VW combination that would allow you to do it.
    Yes.
    It gives you +20 mm in height from stock suspension
    and +40 mm in height from sport suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    The best way (and most expensive),
    would be to order the VW heavy load/rough road springs from Europe.
    *See above

Quote Originally Posted by Oil dripper View Post
    I was thinking the same!
    I've a 4Motion Wagon and thought that the extra clearance would be an advantage in the snow.
    It is superb to get some more clearance in the snow.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You could always order one WEITEC spring distance kit for your Passat B5 / B5.5.

* WEITEC Sport Kits - Spring Distance Kit

They will give your Passat a nice improvement in riding height.

Last edited by 2stroke; 09-22-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Neutral
    Any progress or results with this? I'm considering a bit of a lift as well and am curious to see/read how it turns out...

Neutral
    an air bag system would do the same thing, could both lift and lower it with the same system.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    The best way (and most expensive), would be to order the VW heavy load/rough road springs from Europe.
    £700... vaseline with that sir? I went in to the dealer for the million to one chance they were selling them off cheap and that was my quote.

I eventually just bought after market springs and harder shockers for mines after getting peeved off with its softness and its annoying lowness, i seen this as maintenance on the car too so wasn't to bothered about splashing out on new stuff for it. Only problem is that i cant remember where//make i bought it all from especially since the front heavy duty springs are harder to come by. Sorry if wasted your time but il try and find out where I got it all from because it didn't cost much more than the standard stuff and its annoying me now I cant remember.

3rd Gear
    Any progress on this. I think a 2" lift would be fantastic in the snow. My 2WD wagon with good snow tries already blows by many Subbies and SUVs, my major weakness is the ride height in deep snow (here in UT and PNW).
    The passat is no truck but it can handle a lot of rough road. I've driven thousands of miles (not shy either) on western Forest Service roads and even took a wrong turn 4x4 only Jeep road in Colorado; with patience and careful driving I covered all 25 miles of that road while loaded to the gills with bikes a roof box and hatch full of 3 months gear. Two more inches would have been great!

I've already installed Bilstein HDs probably helps a little but mostly gives a crappy ride on crappy roads.

Lowering looks cool but where I drive it would be just plain stupid.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by swcrow17 View Post
    Not odd at all, in fact, about 3 years ago, there was a member on here that did it and it looked pretty darn cool. Search, as I *think* there is an OEM combination that would allow you to do it.
    It's the 1BB springs, Scott...

3rd Gear
    If you live somewhere where it either snows A LOT or there are dirt roads everywhere, go for it, but I'd bag it. And only if you're 4mo'd. The practicality is nice, but DAMN does a lifted Passat look hideous.

It's funny seeing people saying they can ball in snow with 2WD and snow tires better than any AWD vehicle. Yeah, any AWD vehicle with drag radials or slicks all around.

If your Passat isn't 4mo, don't lift it.

$0.02 inserted.

Kids.....Practicality trumps all. You'll learn
    pete029 likes this.

2nd Gear
    I wanted to lift my 97 golf last year, and the solution was to put in b5 passat springs to give it a solid 4-6 inches of lift (or so I was told).

There could be a chance that the stock suspension of a heavier VW or Audi could fit, but I don't know if it would even work well or if you could even find the parts.

1st Gear
    i think a local place around me sells llifters u put them between the car and strut brace

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    Kids.....Practicality trumps all. You'll learn
    Well, sure, I can agree with that, if it outweighs your desire to make your car look decent.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by SleeperWagon View Post

It's funny seeing people saying they can ball in snow with 2WD and snow tires better than any AWD vehicle. Yeah, any AWD vehicle with drag radials or slicks all around.

If your Passat isn't 4mo, don't lift it.

$0.02 inserted.
    On that most, Subbies and AWD/SUVs I see run all-season because they think all they need is AWD...until they try to steer or stop . I see it in the winter LITERALLY every day. Nearly every day I hear about a rollover accident on the traffic report.

I live/play in the Mts where it snows a lot, 400" is a low snow year. I ski 3 to 4 days a week. Despite that fact I'm driving nearly 90-95% of the time on clear roads. So 90-95% of the time AWD is overkill and robbing MPGs (for me that's ~18,000 miles/year). Of that remaining 5-10%, maybe 10-25% is driving in snow that my 2wd Passat could handle w/ better clearance. The electronic locking differential works damn well.

I've owned both (see username) 2wd with snows destroys awd with good A/S tires. I'll never drive AWD on a daily basis again because it isn't practical.

Sure AWD with snows can blow away 2wd with snows; but even then your travel speed is limited by other factors such as other driver's scooting along at 15mph in their drag slicks and worn out A/S tires.

Would lifting the passat 2" make it less efficient, yes. Would it make it ugly, maybe to some. Would it still be a nicer, more efficient ride than a truck, yes. Would it still have functioning window seals that make it a nicer ride than a Subie, yes. Would 2wd still be A LOT cheaper to own an operate (cough: maintenance and parts) than 4mo, yes.

No it's probably not practical for a lot of folks and owning a cheap, crappy ski car might be better and is probably what I'll stick to. But hey, I can see plenty of logic in adding clearance to a 2wd because 2wd works perfect for the vast majority of situations.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncroq5 View Post
    Would 2wd still be A LOT cheaper to own an operate (cough: maintenance and parts) than 4mo, yes.
    Cheaper??? Maybe in terms of MPG but that is it. How much maintenance you think a 4Motion ( quattro) needs?

I had a '87 Quantum syncro wagon (quattro drivetrain) bought with 215,000 miles sold with 250,000 miles, only had to replace the vacuum locking solenoid. I owned a '96 Audi S6 ( quattro), I put on 70,000 miles, zero maintenance on the quattro system. Now put 50,000 miles on my 2004 Passat 4Motion, again zero maintenance on the drivetrain.

You must be subscribing to the more parts, more maintenance myth.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by SleeperWagon View Post
    Well, sure, I can agree with that, if it outweighs your desire to make your car look decent.
    Who the hell are you, Fernando Lamas?

pete029 likes this.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post
    Cheaper??? Maybe in terms of MPG but that is it. How much maintenance you think a 4Motion ( quattro) needs?

I had a '87 Quantum syncro wagon (quattro drivetrain) bought with 215,000 miles sold with 250,000 miles, only had to replace the vacuum locking solenoid. I owned a '96 Audi S6 ( quattro), I put on 70,000 miles, zero maintenance on the quattro system. Now put 50,000 miles on my 2004 Passat 4Motion, again zero maintenance on the drivetrain.

You must be subscribing to the more parts, more maintenance myth.
    Not wanting to start an argument but...
    If you've ever changed center or rear diff oils...I'll tell you it's not necessary in 2wd. Then there are rear hubs, bearings and suspension components that aren't on 2wd. Many other parts like gas tanks, exhaust systems front suspension systems, are frequently different, and cost more than the respective 2wd components. Haldex units have control valves that, not infrequently, fail. I was just hanging out with a buddy who needed his 2004 outback's VC replaced, not cheap. Depending on model and AWD system you need to be more vigilant about tire rotation and may need to buy tires more frequently if you damage a tire. etc.

If you really like AWD and your AWD systems don't require any additional maintenance then good for you. That certainly hasn't been my experience and until I get on the jeep trails or hit that rare massive snow storm, I find my 2wd Passat more than sufficient for a daily driver.
    Last edited by Syncroq5; 10-17-2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: added passat qualifier, the FWD passat is an exceptional snow performer. Can't say that about all 2wd vehicles, eg truck/van

2nd Gear
    Syncroq5, seeing how we are in a Passat forum I was referring to our 4Motion ( ie. quattro) system that is pretty much indestructable. I notice your experiences listed are non 4Motion ( quattro).

I wasn't aware that 2wd Passats didn't have rear hubs or a rear suspension. I totally get what you're saying though.

3rd Gear
    And the OP was asking about a 2wd for urban rough roads. The real point is that I see plenty of practical reason to add some ride height to a 2wd passat. My own primary need for AWD is due to occasional regulations on some roads I drive...so lifting wouldn't get me around that. Practically speaking I've been limited by rough roads (off road) and snow MORE frequently because of limited clearance not my Fwd.

If we had a passat available in the US with 9"ish ground clearance (4mo or not) I'd be all about it. The Outbacks don't cut the mustard for me and Audi All Roads are needlessly complex/get lousy mileage...best compromise I've seen is the XC70. Rumor has it that Volvo is going to begin selling FWD XC70s because the standard wagon wasn't popular enough.

For what it's worth...I also think (haven't researched) it would be cheaper/easier to add an inch or 2 to a 2wd passat than a 4mo passat.

OP; if you do this, keep us posted!!

5th Gear
    I've been following this thread and finally decided to chime in on the technical side...

I honestly don't know how you will be able to get more than 20mm of suspension lift without running into the same problems that lowering more than 20mm causes. There's a reason that VW makes and sells optional suspension packages that lift (1BB) or lower (1BE) our cars 20mm and it's the inherent limitations of the front suspension.

Lifting or lowering more than 20mm causes too much of an angular difference between the upper and lower control arms. Combine that with the inability to adjust the camber angle of the front end (without going to some very expensive aftermarket upper control arms) and you have a pretty solid limit forced by the design of the overall system.

Yes, I know people have lowered their cars until stuff scrapes when they get in, but they either have a ton of $$ in aftermarket pieces that allow some adjustability or they just buy cheap tires every few months when the camber wear destroys the inside edge.

Lifting the car over the 20mm "limit" is going to cause the exact same problem in the front but on the outside edge of the tires inside of the inside.

What got me started thinking about this is a side project on my son's '02 WRX. I'm making some stackable suspension lift spacers for the front and rear of his car. On a "normal" strut, there's the ability to place spacers between the top hat and the body and fixing the negative camber is a simple process of adjusting the stock camber bolt or go to a cheap ($15) aftermarket camber bolt that allows more range of motion. We don't have that ability...

I'm of the opinion that a 20mm lift (springs OR spacers) is the maximum "reasonable" suspension lift we can get but we can augment that lift with the right tire selection.

My snow tires the last 2 seasons were 225-60-16, they cleared just fine and gave me some additional ground clearance. We can probably run a 205/215-65-16 as well to gain a skosh more height but I think that's the effective limit...

Just my .02, YMMV...

- Jon

33. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Thread Information